Hour meter

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TOH
True Blue

Hour meter

Post by TOH »

The hour meter in my Major doesn't work. It has showed the same 6882 hours all the time that I have had it. I have driven the tractor very little but I would have expected some movement by now. Today I took the meter off and opened it. Nothing seems to be obviously broken or stuck.

Does anyone have any experience repairing these things? I would appreciate some hints where to look first.

Another question. Is this meter likely to be installed in the factory or was it added later?

Here's a picture to show what it looks like. It was taken before the tractor was painted. I don't have a camera at the moment so I had to dig up an old picture from my computer.

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

Problem solved (I think). I noticed that one rotating shaft was stuck. I disassembled the innards completely and cleaned and greased every part. No teeth were broken on the plastic gears. I assume that there is enough free play in the gears so that they just jump a teeth instead of breaking when something gets stuck. Tomorrow I'll reinstall the meter and then I'll see if it works or not.

Still would like to know if the hour meter was a factory option or not?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes, they were an optional extra, usually dealer fitted.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

TOH
True Blue

Post by TOH »

Thanks for the info, Brian.

Timo