Starting in "extreme cold conditions"

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
TOH
True Blue

Starting in "extreme cold conditions"

Post by TOH »

Here's another daft question:

I was just reading the New Major and Super Major owner's manuals (english versions). In both of them the starting procedure under "extreme cold conditions" is to turn the engine by hand using the decompressor and engaging the excess fuel device.

I started to wonder what are these conditions? I assume that the instructions are written in a British point of view. I'm sure that here in Finland and other colder climate areas the term "extreme cold" means quite something else. So what is the correct temperature when one should start using the excess fuel button? Is there any harm in using it in warmer weather?

Timo

jkilmer83
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by jkilmer83 »

I would install a bock heater or circulating coolant heater to and plug it in when it gets below freezing (32deg F I think 0 C, that darn metric sys. LOL).

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

There is no problem about using the excess fuel button in any conditions. It just allows the rack in the pump a little more movement than normal to give her a little more fuel.

We do not have extreme cold over here but from experience, even in the worst winters we had during the 1950's and 1960's most Majors would start with just the button if kept out of the direct cold. In fact a lot of farms kept an old Major to tow start more modern tractors in those conditions. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Does it even get cold, over your side of the country? :-D

Post by John-Paul »

I always use the excess fuel button, as standard procedure (let's forget about what I used to do with the decompression lever - I won't do that again..). So far our tractor has started well whatever the temperature, although I have to say I didn't try it during that terrible winter many years ago when it was -52C one morning...

I've never quite understood why these engines start so easily, when everything else needs glow plugs and block heaters?

Roel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Roel »

Brian wrote:There is no problem about using the excess fuel button in any conditions. It just allows the rack in the pump a little more movement than normal to give her a little more fuel.

We do not have extreme cold over here but from experience, even in the worst winters we had during the 1950's and 1960's most Majors would start with just the button if kept out of the direct cold. In fact a lot of farms kept an old Major to tow start more modern tractors in those conditions. :D
:lol: These type of situations are still common. A friend of mine owns a Landini tractor almost half a century more recent than my PM. Some 3 years ago he got a bit upset when he could empty his almost new battery in the cold without result, and my tractor fired up with a small second hand car-battery that I got from a breaker. Oh, and of course my battery clamps were corroded. Just starting a Fordson can already be fun. :wink:

Roel

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Roel
It's a great feeling when the ole girl starts so easily, (and you think to yourself "thats my girl"), but as you say, its even better when the more modern ones won't start so easily.
Not that it gets cold here, but some tractors just start so easily.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Roel
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Does it even get cold, over your side of the country? :-

Post by Roel »

John-Paul wrote:I always use the excess fuel button, as standard procedure (let's forget about what I used to do with the decompression lever - I won't do that again..). So far our tractor has started well whatever the temperature, although I have to say I didn't try it during that terrible winter many years ago when it was -52C one morning...

I've never quite understood why these engines start so easily, when everything else needs glow plugs and block heaters?
As far as my little knowledge goes it is a matter of size of the combustion chamber. Smaller= more compression=more heating of the fuel/air mixture= easier starting, but also louder running. An increased size of the combustion chamber means smoother running of the engine (that's why the early car diesels were not direct injected) but will also require glow plugs or other aids to get it running at low temperatures. Also, when these engines wear and compression gasses leak between cilinder liner and piston rings, starting problems will occur also at higher temperatures. I recall when I was young and we had a tractor fitted with new piston rings and the cilinders honed; we never had to use the glow plugs anymore.
My conclusion is that our blue machines are "excellent by simplicity".
John-Paul: if you don't mind I hope it gets -52 or close this winter where you live, so you can inform us about the outcome.... 8)

Interesting subject; I just doubled my number of posts tonight (to 4).....
Roel

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

That -52 was really exceptional - in a normal winter it only gets down around the mid -20's. That's more than cold enough for me though!