My Ebro 48 at work with vintage seed drill.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
David Ebro
Not Quite Blue Yet

My Ebro 48 at work with vintage seed drill.

Post by David Ebro »

Hello!:

On Saturday, the 14th of November my friend Esteve P. and I, we prove the seed drill of 14 lines, to six inches, which gave me. The friend who gave her to me, kept the rear roller for another machine and now I must connect another roller so that the seed drill works perfectly.

The Ebro 48 (Fordson New Major) was dragging the machine in gear 5: it was possible to drag in gear 6, but the field was small.

This seed drill was a machine for haulage for 2 or 3 horses, which one adapted to the tractors.

Greetings: David
"A hymn to life the ploughs sing".
(From the tango "Silence" of Carlos Gardel).

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

nice pictures :)

David Ebro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by David Ebro »

Hello Ian and all the People:

These photos demonstrate that our beloveds Fordson and Ebros are not only pieces of museum since they can be employed at the farms today and realize big works with very little diesel oil and with few compression of the soil: it is absurd for example to sow with a machine Vicon " system dog's tail " attached to a tractor of 100 HP as I have seen: my Fiat 211-R (21 HP), my MF 135 or one Dexta, can do this work perfectly.

Also old machines that work perfectly as my green seed drill (14 lines separated 6 inches each one), can be employed perfectly at the farm (The fields of my zone are not big). This system of seed drills, known in France as " North American seed drills " keeps on making today, but they have more width: my seed drill has 100 inches of width (2,5 m) and the modern ones have 118 inches (3m), since more width is impossible to circulate along the roadways.

Greetings: David

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

David what were you drilling/seeding/planting?

I ask it like that because I recall causing confusion then amusement in Oz years ago by asking about the drill. :lol:

David Ebro
Not Quite Blue Yet

Barley.

Post by David Ebro »

Hello Essex Pete and all the People:

Esteve (=Steve) P. this sowing barley with my machine. The grain makes use of it for the calves and the straw also.
If it was not for the grain, it is better to sow ray-grass, that gives a lot of meal and it is possible to cut several times, but the change of climate - drought - has harmed very much the farming of the ray-grass.

Greetings: David.