Badges

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Laurie
True Blue

Badges

Post by Laurie »

I have (hopefully) posted some pics of my tractor. The picture with the young girl on board was taken when I got the tractor in 1985 and the girl is my daughter aged 12. The other one shows her son on board and was taken in 2006.

With the help of the Ford & Fordson Association I have just got the tractor re-registered under her original number.She was first registered on 3rd March 1957

The tractor number is 1415835 with casting codes of engine A18A and gearbox A24A making her late Jan 1957.

I know that there has been considerable debate on this site about badges but I am bit confused because my tractor has Fordson Major badges without the big "D" and an orange wheatsheaf badge on the front cowl. On both sides of the bonnet, under the badges , are two holes that might have taken a different badge although they seem too far apart for the single "diesel" badge that was sometimes used.

As the tractor is quite close to the change over to the Mark 2, I wonder if it was possible that they started using the new badges on some of the later Mark 1s
It is possible that a new bonnet and cowl have been fitted I suppose.

When I do a bit of restoration should I keep the exisiting badges or change them for the"proper" ones ?

The tractor was mainly used in Oxfordshire , Banbury in particular, and if anybody has any knowledge of her prior existence I would be pleased to hear from them

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

Hi Laurie,

I am afraid that the images are not displaying, I have tried connecting directly to your Photobucket link without any luck either. Hopefully someone more clued up in this area will offer advice.

Where about near Banbury did your Major work? I live in Brailes about 10 miles from Banbury and knew a fair few Majors in this area. My wife's parents had two until the early 80's.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

Laurie
True Blue

Badges

Post by Laurie »

Hi Chris

Not sure why pics are not displayng. Will have another go.

Anyway tractor registration number is LBW 916. First registered to a Youngs Garage, Warwick Road, Banbury who had her for several years and she came back into their possession on two other occasions. Perhaps they were Fordson dealers.

I also understand that she was owned by Blaines Linen Services in Banbury and by Banbury Egg Producers , which I assume was some sort of co-operative

Cheers

Laurie
True Blue

Badges

Post by Laurie »

Second attempt at the pics

Laurie

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Laurie,

Mine is February 57 and has the same badge. I've seen more of those. Haven't found out were the two square holes are for. They don't match with the small or de large diesel badge.
I know the petrol models had the same badge.

About the front badge, this is what it should look like.

This was my first attempt but totally wrong:

Nice tractor seems pretty original. You have the round hood air filter. I thought that was only for petrol models.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

what's with the exhaust not exiting through hood?

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

MAXPOWER wrote:what's with the exhaust not exiting through hood?
Mines the same, Don't Know. Some one must have changed the manifold?
Another unfinished project

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

mines on the outside as well, but i have no hole in the hood.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All the air cleaners were round until around 1956.

The exhaust through the bonnet was a modification for when the tractor was fitted with a front loader.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

are those iron wheels original? thought they'd be steel?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Cast iron wheels are correct for the Fordson Major Diesel. My Power Major has pressed steel wheels which is correct for the later tractors. Not sure when they changed, or if export tractors were pressed steel to reduce shipping weight? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Laurie
True Blue

Badges

Post by Laurie »

Thanks for the responses. As far as I am aware the tractor is very much original. The only thing that I have done to her since 1986 is to fit a new dynamo.

I understand that the 4 holes iron wheels are correct . I think that they were changed to 3 holes with the Super Major.

The badge thing is interesting. I have no reason to believe that the badges on her now were not the ones that she was delivered with and so I will probably keep them the same. At least it is a talking point.

henk

Post by henk »

Laurie,

The badge and the grills are always a talking point.
Could you show a picture from the badge itself?

The 3 hole front wheel came with the power model.

Do you have square holes under the side badges? That's another talking point in another topic.

It's indeed an original tractor as you say.
Kind regards, Henk

Laurie
True Blue

Badges

Post by Laurie »

Henk

I do not have a close up picture of the badge on the nose cone. I will take one asap but at present it would mean trudging through the snow for about a half a mile to where the tractor is safe and warm in her garage.

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

my 56 has steel wheels, i'd much rather have the iron.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

MAXPOWER wrote:my 56 has steel wheels, i'd much rather have the iron.
This is what I wonder about export tractors to the USA. I wonder if the pressed Steel wheels and hubs were used on tractors exported here for shipping, and weight reasons. Both my Power Major, and your tractor is in the USA. If you look in the parts book, there are various options.

I found this on the New Holland Ag parts look up.
81717265 Hub & Bolt Assy., Export Only, Use W/E1ADKN-1015-B, No Longer Serviced, Years: 01/01/1952-12/31/1964

Unavalible, But I see that it is listed as export only. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Laurie
True Blue

Badges

Post by Laurie »

Henk

I have posted a couple of pictures of the badges one showing the side badge with the two holes underneath.

The badge on the nose cone has been damaged slightly but would appear to be orange apart from where the paint has flaked off

henk

Post by henk »

Laurie,

My hood has the same badge with the two holes. I wrote they were square, but that was wrong. I've seen more of the same type.

About the wheat sheaf badge on the nose, I think it could be a replaced one with the colors of the super, or a repainted one with the colors of the super model.

We had a topic about the colors of the badge on the old forum.
Kind regards, Henk

hillbilly87+2
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hillbilly87+2 »

My side badges on my 54 fordson says Fordson Major Diesel. Maybe someone changed the badges from the above that is where the extra holes came from ,just a thought will check mine tommorow and let you know,also how do you post pictures on this site. Tom
I own a 1954 fordson major, according to the I&T manuel serial #1283686. which shows on the flywheel back of starter,by the way i was born in Friesland,Nederland

henk

Post by henk »

Hello Dutchman,

I have check that already. The holes don't fit.
Placing pictures is many times described on the forum and is found under FAQ.
But here we go:
Place the picture somewhere on the internet. That could be done on your one site or at a provider for pictures.
Copy the properties (right click on the picture) of that picture and paste them between (img)properties(/img) Use the [ ]form instead of ( ). Make the picture not bigger than 640 x 480.
Give it a try in a new topic

When did you leave Holland?

Good luck.
Kind regards, Henk

hillbilly87+2
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by hillbilly87+2 »

Hi Henk, went out to check the badges on my tractor since i have them off at present time as i am painting it ( by Brush) My badges line up exactly with the bottom two holes,conclusion either the hood has been changed( maybe that is why the hole in the hood) or somebody lost or damaged the original badges and stuck these on. My badges have a large capital D which starts the major and diesel. To anwer your last question i came over in 1954 from Drogeham Friesland,never have been back since but there is still a tug at my heart strings when i see the familiar names mentioned. By the way i have had this tractor for about 15 years.
I own a 1954 fordson major, according to the I&T manuel serial #1283686. which shows on the flywheel back of starter,by the way i was born in Friesland,Nederland