any ideas on what i have here

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
chris24565
Not Quite Blue Yet

any ideas on what i have here

Post by chris24565 »

hi bought a Major recently got it home Saturday have found this these 2 numbers not sure where on the tractor though 08B742589 and 08B719589. These say Super Major but it has drum brakes any ideas??
New bloke on the fordson block

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

That would suggest that someone has swapped out the engine in either a power major or a major(does it have gauges on top of the fuel tank?)
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

sounds like you've got yourself a john deere
No but seriously if it has drum brakes, its probably a major or power major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Another Norfolkman! Welcome to the board! I am at Dereham!

Those numbers are Super Major ones, you should have found one (at least) under No.1 Injector. Don't know where you could have got the other one as Supers did not have a number on the firewall or behind the starter as in the early tractors.

You need to find the date codes on the clutch housing, hydraulics and rear axle. Where are the instruments, under the steering wheel or behind the gear stick?

I would suspect that someone has fitted an engine from another tractor to a Powr Major or FMD.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

chris24565
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris24565 »

Hi you boys are quick off the mark i am in Forncett near Wymondham
gauges are under the steering wheel. 1 number came from under the 1st injector noy sure where i found the other one kids were helping!!!
think I have up loaded photos to here if that helps not the best I know. http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... an%202010/

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is an early Fordson Major Diesel. So someone has swapped the engine. You should have another number on the flange behind the starter.

Hope you don't mind me posting your pictures.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

chris24565
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris24565 »

Hi Brian
Thanks for posting the pictures. Thanks for the info at least I know now what I have got here.The bloke I bought it off did not know much apart from it was used in a boat yard. We put a battery on and it started straight away got air into 2 tyres ( 1 was all ready pumped up) tried to reverse it off the trailer ( seller had lifted it on for us) one brake stuck on had to drag it off the trailer and half an hour of encouragement to free it up, with most of the neighbours watching, then the wife came home oh dear not impressed but she will come to like it we hope.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

She may even be an industrial spec, (the tractor, not the wife).

The dash panel and the yellow colour is the clue. Normally she should have an oil pressure gauge, a temperature gauge and an ameter as standard but she does not even have the holes.

Very interesting.
Brian

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Welcome Chris,
Nice looking tractor with some strange things like the dashboard, engine, under swept exhaust and round shaped air inlet.

Brian, would it not be a different brake setup when she's an industrial?
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

chris24565
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris24565 »

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments ideas thoughts etc. I can take some more photos and search for numbers etc at the weekend as to dark before and after work. Is there any thing I need to search for /photograph to help you experts guide this newcomer into what I have sitting in my yard. The wife could be industrial Brian she hard work at times :D

Once again thanks everyone for your comments

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Henk,

Not really, some had outboard brakes but ones used in JCB's and Dinkum Diggers and other industrial applications used the standard brake system. The outboard brakes were a requirement of councils and government applications.

Chris,

Just take pictures! Post the casting codes and check if you have a number on the flange behind the starter. We call tractors like yours Fordson ASP's (All Spare Parts) but its only in fun.

Check the rear wings for rib positions and the footplates for a plate over the bull pinion shafts. Items like these and the round topped air cleaner help to place her. The engine is a Super Majot from 1962.
Brian

chris24565
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris24565 »

Hi Gentleman

Been having a look round for some numbers could not find anything near the starter motor these are what I have found some are a bit rusty.

Front Axle 27L7 that was very rusty
o8B7195889 under 1st injector
6050j j3167 between 2nd and 3rd injector
behind the seat looks like 994783
on the hydraulic lever beside the seat e1adkn994730 presume this is a part number but have listed it anyway.

Thanks Chris

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

She looks like a real ASP!

Axle is July 1957, Engine/Serial number is 1962 but the casting number you quote is from 1967 so she has had a new block fitted.

The other casting codes are on the clutch housing in the area of the clutch linkage or possibly up near the starting lever and the one on the lift is immediatly behind the valve block, between the seat rails.
Brian

John-Paul
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by John-Paul »

Brian wrote:She looks like a real ASP!
Indeed. Did you notice the alternator, fitted as standard to later ASP's? :lol: :lol:

That's a modification that I've thought of for mine, although part of me wants to keep it original :wink: :lol: :lol:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

J-P
Which bit of yours? :run:
Brian

chris24565
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by chris24565 »

Yes we are a mongrel and no mistake!
Have taken the steel work of the front today along with one part of the fore end loader, half of the other side is off then found some one has welded the bolts in place and welded extra iron work to the loader and the tractor frame. Friend with the gas axe has been called to work his magic without cutting the majors frame work. Don't you just love people who have to weld everything.

:lol:

Supertractorman
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Supertractorman »

Nowadays most people have a welder handy so don't think about the outcome of having to dismantle at a later date. Thinking back to the Fifties and Sixties it was only the local blacksmith who had a welder therefore Farmers then drilled and bolted plates over broken items to save cost, while the blacksmith did a Professional repair. Much easier for all of us at a later date.
1964 Super Dexta
1958 Dexta
Mini Dexta
1944 Ford Ferguson 9NAN
Ferguson Teeny 20

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

chris24565 wrote:Yes we are a mongrel and no mistake!
Have taken the steel work of the front today along with one part of the fore end loader, half of the other side is off then found some one has welded the bolts in place and welded extra iron work to the loader and the tractor frame. Friend with the gas axe has been called to work his magic without cutting the majors frame work. Don't you just love people who have to weld everything.

:lol:
the loader on our major was also wielded, but only because the forces on the loader had loosened the bolts and then they wouldn't tighten anymore