fordson distributor cap

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

fordson distributor cap

Post by farmerbrad128 »

I just pick up a fordson major with a back hoe, i have a few questions
1 where can i get a distributor cap i was told by my local new holland dealer they are not available, i was also told a european car uses the same ignition,

2 where would i find replacement points

3 i am having problems identifying the actual fordson model, i was told it is a prototype of the new major, it's brakes are not behind the rear wheels they are on their own mounted to the transmission

any advice would be great
thanks

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Welcome FarmerBrad
It sounds like you have a Fordson Major. If it's a petrol, it will be in the 1952-56? (can't remember when the last petrol was built)
Have you tried to get a distributor cap from the wreckers.
The 52-58 Major's had their brakes on the end of the bull pinion shaft. The bull pinion shaft is behind the foot plates, and in front of the rear axle. The brake drum's are out next to the mudguards.
:needpics:
Good luck
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmerbrad128 »

thanks for the reply

i have found some id marks in various spots

on block below #1 spark plug is a flat spot with a triangle stamped on it with some very very small markings inside it

on block below # 4 spark plug is a sideways P

onthe head behind exhaust manifold near #1 cylinder is N271

on the transmission above the PTO lever is C5V

does this help to ID my machine?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The number you need is on the flange behind the starter. The one you quote, C5V gives March 1954.

Spark ignition tractors were not popular over here because the diesel was far more economical on fuel. I can get through a full tank of kerosene in 6 hours on Henrietta whilst a tank of diesel lasts many days on the work that I do. Stll I have had Henrietta for around 40 years and I would not change her.

A cap could be a problem. A friend found me a brand new original some years ago from old stock at a Ford dealer but I have not come across another.

Points are available from classic car dealers.

Maybe one of our Australian friends can help as they used Ford petrol trucks over there wshich had the same distributor.

One thing that does concern me, you say the brakes are mounted on the transmission. Do you have a side valve engine (flat head)? It could be an E27N Major, one of the last built as these carried on after the New Major for export.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

A picture is worth thousands of words! Please post photos if possible. :lol:
Never give up!

farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmerbrad128 »

thanks for the replies

how do i post a picture?[/img]

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You need to upload your pictures to a picture hosting site like Photobucket. Then copy the image code and place it in your post.

Check that it looks like this [img]image%20code[/img], job done.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmerbrad128 »

Thanks to Brian for the help with picture

[img][img]http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz10 ... ordson.jpg[/img][/img]

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

She looks a beast! It is a E1ADN Major not an E27N.

If you have engine parts problems, it would always be possible to convert her to a diesel with an engine from a breaker. The diesel version would just drop straight in.
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Brian wrote:She looks a beast! It is a E1ADN Major not an E27N.

If you have engine parts problems, it would always be possible to convert her to a diesel with an engine from a breaker. The diesel version would just drop straight in.
Don't you mean E1ADKN as in kerosene? E1ADDN is diesel, right? what was the petrol version called?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Emiel
True Blue

Post by Emiel »

Hello Farmerbrad,

Do you have one or two filler caps on the petrol tank of your tractor?

If you only have one, you'll have a straight petrol tractor. If you have a two filler one, you'll have a petrol/kerosene tractor. If it's the petrol one, it's really special

Foxen,

The petrol major is E1ADN
The kerosine one is E1ADKN
The diesel is E1ADDN

Best regards

Emiel
Best regards

Emiel

N 1937, E27N 1948, 8N 1949, E27N 1950, E1A Diesel 1953, E1ADKN PP 1956, Dexta 1959, NH Clayson M103 1964

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

E1ADN is the petrol.
Brian

farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmerbrad128 »

it has only 1 filler cap and it has only ever been run on gasoline

i found the numder on the flange of the engine block above the starter it is 1246806

it runs well it could use a cap rotor points and wires but i am having a lot of trouble finding them if anyone has suggestions i'd love to hear them

thanks brad

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Interesting looking Major, Brad 8) . Are you allowed to build a shed for your Major so its out of the snow? :eyes: Cheers TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

The CNH/Ford//Fordson part number for the Fordson Major distributor cap is 81751855, from 01/01/52 to 31/03/57. The Lucas part number is 418859.Can any one on the forum confirm that the Lucas part number is correct and are there other engines that use this cap?In other forums it has been suggested that possibly that a number of other engines used the same Lucas distributor, and if so what are they?Is there any way we can crossreference Lucas part numbers to confirm this possiblity? :roll: TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

TSG,

You are quite correct, the Lucas Part No. is 418859. It would seem that only two other vehicles used this cap. One being the old Thames Truck prior to the Trader. The other vehicle was the Landrover 60 in the years 1955 to 1959. I managed to get a new cap last year at a Swap Meet for AU$40. However, I know of three other people that are chasing them.

Kiwi Kev.

The Petrol Engine was still available in the Super Major.
BarryM

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The serial number you have found is for a December 1952 tractor so your earlier post of a casting code means that she has had that part replaced.

If you can find more codes we can see if she is totally original with just the odd bit replaced. The code you found on the head is possibly N27T which would be November 1952.

The Lucas number for the points is 419398 on the original box.
Brian

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Just got an e-mail back from one of the local tractor dismantlers, who said that getting distributor caps for Majors is getting very hard. With the petrol Majors that they have been getting for dismantling, a number of them have been modified to accept a Ferguson distributor :stress: due to the unavailabilty of genuine Ford/"Prince of darkness" parts.TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Try this chap - he supplied me with a new cap, rotor arm and points a while back and he is SO helpful and knowledgeable.

www.distributordoctor.com
Regards - Bob

1961 Super Major

Tractorbob3
True Blue

Post by Tractorbob3 »

Sorry - meant to add - he also reconditions distributors and returns them so that they look like new!
Regards - Bob

1961 Super Major

Old52
True Blue

Re: fordson distributor cap

Post by Old52 »

Hi Gents: Following up on an old thread to see if anyone ever found the Lucas cap for the petrol E1ADN tractor? The Lucas number is 418859 and I did just connect with Martin Jay at www.distributordoctor.com who said that he does not have any more of these and they are like hens teeth to find...