Power Major Transmission Filter

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Power Major Transmission Filter

Post by maddyn99 »

Anyone know where I can get a new transmission filter for the Power Major? We pulled apart the transmission this weekend and the filter is full of holes and not salvageable. I looked on every site that I have including Agriline and cant find anything.

I am also looking for the two gaskets that go on the bottom.

Does the drain plug have a gasket? All mine had was a copperish ring that didnt seem to being doing a very good job of keeping the fluids in the tranny.

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Have you tried Ebay? can't help you with the parts but the Drain/sump plugs generally only have a copper washer which seals it. Make sure all the surfaces are smooth and clean with no gouges or big scratches in them.

Chris
Another unfinished project

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

wouldn't it be better with a rubber-steel seal instead of the copper ring? I mean those that are a flat steel washer with like an o-ring inside, usually meant for hydraulics...
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

If you can't find any to buy just get some gasket paper and get creative with the scissors. There is always sparex gasket sealer, I used that stuff on the lift cover since it would have been a huge gasket to cut out.

As for the transmission filter thing, try a breaker.

Gman
True Blue

Re: Power Major Transmission Filter

Post by Gman »

maddyn99 wrote:Anyone know where I can get a new transmission filter for the Power Major? We pulled apart the transmission this weekend and the filter is full of holes and not salvageable. I looked on every site that I have including Agriline and cant find anything.

Does the drain plug have a gasket? All mine had was a copperish ring that didnt seem to being doing a very good job of keeping the fluids in the tranny.
Learn something new here all the time. I need to get my manuals outl. Did not know the transmission had a filter, where is the filter located?
Gerald
Gman: 1959 Power Major

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maddyn99 »

Gman wrote:
maddyn99 wrote:
Learn something new here all the time. I need to get my manuals outl. Did not know the transmission had a filter, where is the filter located?
Gerald
At the bottom of the rear axle there is a drain plug and two plates. The drain plug of course drains the oil. The first plate allows access to the filter, the 2nd plate allows access to the whole oil pump.

At least on my Power Major this is what I had.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

maddyn99 wrote:
Gman wrote:
maddyn99 wrote:
Gerald
At the bottom of the rear axle there is a drain plug and two plates. The drain plug of course drains the oil. The first plate allows access to the filter, the 2nd plate allows access to the whole oil pump.

At least on my Power Major this is what I had.

Thanks maddyn, I have a 1959 power major and have the same filter. You mentioned that your filter had holes in it, it may be ok. The filter in mine is a metal mesh with many small holes and it fits to feed pipe of hydraulics. Also there are magnetic filters, screws, that are also in your picture that would need removing and cleaning. You may want to get more info from others on here, I'm a rookie. I have learned a lot about my power major from this site.
Gerald

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Watch out for the dreaded "oil up sleeve" syndrom as you remove the plate and filter :twisted:

Regarding the washer on the drain plug, always use a copper or fibre one, the ali./rubber ones are for hydraulic lines and I find that, if used on some plugs without the groove at the top for the rubber insert, the rubber tears out and leaks.

If you are worried that the copper one has become hard and will not seal, just heat it up to red hot and allow to cool. It will then be OK for another 60 years.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Brian wrote:Watch out for the dreaded "oil up sleeve" syndrom as you remove the plate and filter :twisted:

Regarding the washer on the drain plug, always use a copper or fibre one, the ali./rubber ones are for hydraulic lines and I find that, if used on some plugs without the groove at the top for the rubber insert, the rubber tears out and leaks.

If you are worried that the copper one has become hard and will not seal, just heat it up to red hot and allow to cool. It will then be OK for another 60 years.
Yea you better be ready with some extra buckets, a lot of oil will flow when you remove drain plug. I made my own gaskets with gasket material, no leaks.

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

when I changed the oil in the back end, I also cut out a new gasket out of gasket paper. Worked a treat, just a little fiddly with the old scissors. Pity no one makes gaskets for these old tractors.

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maddyn99 »

Ian wrote:when I changed the oil in the back end, I also cut out a new gasket out of gasket paper. Worked a treat, just a little fiddly with the old scissors. Pity no one makes gaskets for these old tractors.
I have the two gaskets from the bottom two pieces. They look like they were made out of plastic. Not sure if they were original or some kind of replacement, but both pieces were leaking pretty bad.

I am going to scan the two gaskets and see what it would cost to have 5 or 10 of them made up. If its reasonable, ill have it done and I will have a few spares and some to pass around or something :idea:

Anyone have the top cover gasket or know where to get one? What was there looked like paper and was not salvageable. I have pretty much looked everyone for one, but cant find one. I see the shift cover gasket but not the lift arm cover gasket.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

someone actually do gaskets, unfortunately they are expensive :/

Swedish OIE(www.oeparts.se) sells the gasket for the hydraulic lid...

I made my own gaskets from gasket paper I bought at swedish "biltema", a roll of 1000x500x0.8mm thick paper cost about $5 and 1000x500x0.4mm cost me some $3, the OIE gasket for the hydraulic lid cost over $22, so for just a little more time(which I have plenty of) and lots less money(which I have substantially _less_ of), I have gasket paper of two different thicknesses and can make almost all the needed gaskets myself with just a pair of scissors, a small rounded head hammer and a knife :) (Why yes, I am cheap, I rather spend my money on buying the things I can't manufacture myself and save on things I know I can do myself)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maddyn99 »

Is this the right gasket? Google Translate doesn't work very well on this website. And i know ZERO Swedish, except what I learned from the muppets :lol:

http://www.oeparts.se/Products/Product. ... nId=644180

Image :lol:

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

yeah it looks right
You can use gasket sealer as well, it's just like a jell you put on that turns sorta like wax. Does a good job also.

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

That's the one gasket yes :) And as Ian says, gasket-on-tube works good too, just don't apply too much as it will drop off inside the rear end and will just look awful on the outside ;)

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maddyn99 »

This is why I need a new filter/screen.

I am not sure how long its been since the oil has been changed but I am betting its been a LONG time. Take a look at how much sludge was in the gear box.

Here is a pretty good close up of the access plate right before it goes into the parts washer.

and after

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

you could probably stitch that back together with metal wire. Or replace the wire somehow. I am sure a strainer or something from a kitchen could be cut up and used. And lol I thought the crap in the back end of ours was pretty bad, real sludgy. Metal shavings came out the bottom, and the oil looked like cream !

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello maddyn, I had problem with getting parts from the local new holland dealer until I found this site: www.agriculture.newholland.com. On the main page of the fordson tractor pages you can find the original part numbers and go to the new holland site. In the new holland parts section you can get a print out of the parts you need. You can take this print out to the new holland dealer, it really helped with the local dealer here. I'm going to have to go into my hydraulic pump soon, if you make any pictures of this when you reassemble please post here. Would like to see what I will be getting into.
Thanks
Gerald

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maddyn99 »

Yeah I have been using that web site for original part #'s.

http://agriculture.newholland.com/us/en is the link I have, yours doesn't work for me for some reason. Unfortunately most of what I need is "No Longer Serviced"

I did find a tractor salvage yard that is fairly close to where I live that uses the part #'s for their inventory.

http://www.eagletractorparts.com/

is the website and you can search the used parts in case you need something you cant find new. Good luck working on your's. It seems complicated until you get into it. Honestly the hardest part was getting the top cover off and removing the bearings from the axles. Everything else is pretty much straight forward.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks for the web site, will save for the future. What year is your power major?