Starting Advice

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tiger
True Blue

Starting Advice

Post by Tiger »

Hi all,

My friends fordson will only start with the cold start in even when it's warm and turns over a fare bit till she starts. She runs really well when started, no smoke and sounds well. Any ideas please

Thanks Chris
Another unfinished project

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Just Looking at another post, Does the battery power turnover speed make a big difference. Thanks

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

My first thought is to check the timing. If you’re unsure about the battery spinning it over fast enough, jump it with your truck to see if it makes any difference.

Pat

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

it might be the timing if you put a new fuel injector pump on it

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Hi Guys, i havent put a new pump on it. this is my friend tractor it was rebuilt 2 years ago apparently and always been like this. There are no timing marks on the pump wheel so will it just be trial and error? Thanks

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Hi Tiger, years ago we had what sounds to be the same problem with my dads major. The drive coupling was getting quite loose and noisy, assuming that the excessive wear was retarding the timing I advanced the coupling a little and the problem went away.
I have never seen a coupler that didn’t have a timing mark on it, if possible I'm sure timing it properly would be preferable.

Pat

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Ok, sorry for being stupid i have been looking at timing post for over an hour now and still a little confused. So i need to turn the fly wheel around and look through the spy hole for the timing mark then the lines should then line up on the pump drive coupling. but where are the Deg. No. Markings (on the fly wheel??) and is it just adjusted by the coupling on the pump. Thanks Chris