Major steering box/column??????

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
rscapriman
True Blue

Major steering box/column??????

Post by rscapriman »

Hi all, can anyone tell me is it possible to swap the super major column and case into a diesel major box?? As I have a very good steering box on my super major but it is the earlier shorter item from a diesel major but I also have a very tired super major box and was wondering if it was a straight forward or a nightmare.
Regards Len

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Len,

As far as I know the steering axle and column of the super and power fits on the box of a new major, and the other way around.
Just the length of the column would be different because of the gauges under the steering wheel.
If not, I think some one will over write me.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

they are mostly identical units other than the power/Super units are about an inch longer to make room for the dash, also the longer unit has boses on it for the dash mount and throtle shaft that may not fit through the hole in the gas tank, not sure on this but if desparate and able to use a hack saw it will most likley work. also discovered tonight that the steering arm may be diferent but the newer unit will moste likley work on both tractors.

Pat

rscapriman
True Blue

Post by rscapriman »

Thanks very much Henk and Pat for your prompt replies I have the correct diesel tank (with large hole and flat surface) its just that someone in the past has fitted an earlier steering box and I want to restore it back the correct item with gauges.
Cheers Len.