New Major auxiliary hydrolics

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
david
Not Quite Blue Yet

New Major auxiliary hydrolics

Post by david »

Hello, I think this has been talked about before, but I am new to the forum.
I have a 1957 new major, I want to use my Powerfab back actor,
when it is fitted the lift arms are locked, will it work ? or must I have a auxiliary service valve, I belive these are almost impossible to find . I currently use the Powerfab on my 1960 Dexta with an aux' control, but the tractor is clearly to light.
Regards
David

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the board David.

The tapping point is under your left leg, a plug pointing towards the mud guard.

With your arms locked up and the lift control lever locked in the raise position, you will get a constant flow of oil. Return should be through the filler cap.

The only problem you may find is that when the relief valve blows, you have to lower the main lift control lever to get it to re-seat.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

here

That's an auxiliary one but you get the idea. If you have a roll bar you could attach a chain to it to hold the hydraulics up if you need to do that. Ours used to be setup like that.

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

You need one of these for constant flow on a diesel/power major. Pretty hard to come by though. Bolts onto front of valve chest.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I see you found your way over here. Welcome Aboard Matey. :D

I have learned a lot just chatting with these chaps about the Fordson Majors. The hydraulic controls are one of those things that came optional depending on where the unit was shipped. The ones over here in the USA had different optional equipment than ones shipped other places.

Look here, as this may give you some insight on the different valves that were available. http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... php?t=1406

Lots of excellent expert advice here. 8) Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The McConnel block gives independant lift arms and an auillary flow but, in your case you are locking the lift arms so it won't really matter if you have one or not.

As Dave says, there are many variations on Major Auxillary valves and even many more if you get into Super Major ones as well.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

david
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by david »

thanks for the info. I will try with the arms locked, I used to have a mc'connell back actor which as you know was lifted to move on the lift arms, the powerfab has hydrolic legs so is fixed, so with what you are saying it should work, do you think I will get nusance trips from the relief valve
Regards
David