rear axle oil level

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

rear axle oil level

Post by farmerbrad128 »

how do i check the oil level in the rear axle? I see in the specs it calls for 20w30 could i use something else it is not that common an oil and is only available by the litre

thanks

John
True Blue

Post by John »

The oil specs are in the sticky at the top of this very page.

I've used 15/40 throughout.

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

You need to remove the hydraulic lift cover. There's about 14 bolts to undo, then just lift the whole section off. You can then put a meter ruler inside and measure the level. Or you could just use the dipstick, which is near the gear stick on the left hand side :) It looks like the dipstick is for the gearbox, but it's not it's for the back axle. The gearbox doesn't have a dipstick (i dont think) you check the level of the gearbox by removing the oil filler cap and looking inside.

farmerbrad128
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by farmerbrad128 »

thank you both for the reply

John
True Blue

Post by John »

I filled my gearbox to the brim, and it still wouldn't register on the dipstick - because as Ian says, what looks like the gearbox dipstick is in fact for the rear axle...

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

John wrote:I filled my gearbox to the brim, and it still wouldn't register on the dipstick - because as Ian says, what looks like the gearbox dipstick is in fact for the rear axle...
That is correct. The dip stick is for the rearend. The gear box level is filled almost to the top of the threads. It is marked on a machined block just below the plug, but you may not beable to see it, as it is covered with paint, rust, or dirt. The dip stick level is filled from the plug at the rear. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

This may help:

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

farmerbrad128 wrote:thank you both for the reply
Hey farmerbrad, also watch for the oil leaking from transmission into the rear end, making the rear end overfill. My power major does this and I believe this is a common problem. I pump the oil back to the transmission. Good luck.
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Mark
True Blue

Post by Mark »

Hey Gman, if your rear dif is making oil, (getting it from the transmission) it won't be long till you have to replace the seal, but you probably already know that. It's a good thing that they both enjoy the same oil. 8)
See ya
Mark

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Henrietta has had that leak since the early 1970's. Its no big deal unless it gets really bad. It could be either the large gear seal or the PTO seals inside the lower housing.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Brian wrote:Henrietta has had that leak since the early 1970's. Its no big deal unless it gets really bad. It could be either the large gear seal or the PTO seals inside the lower housing.
Thanks Brian, it has never been a major leak but with her sitting up for so many years and just beginning to put her back to work so it may be worse now, but I'm going to have to drain soon. I plan to go into the hydraulic pump when warmer weather gets here, see if I can solve my lift problem. I think I read I can do this by removing the pto shaft and removing pump out of the bottom. Do I have to remove pto shaft to remove pump or will it just come out of the bottom with pto shaft still in place? Also if I remove pto shaft, are the seals you refer to in the lower housing attached to pto shaft? I plan to start her up today when I get home, the weather appears to be cooperating, we have had rain and snow every week lately. Thanks for all your help in the past, it is greatly appreciated.
Gerald

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

Gman,
I think if you want to do that you should drain all the oil, then remove the hydraulic lift cover. All will become clear then. It is quite a big job removing the hydraulic lift cover etc. What is your hydraulic problem ?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You need to remove the PTO shaft. The seals are further forward in the housing below the gearbox and will not be disturbed. They are a real so and so to do without the special tool. Replacing them is one of the only jobs you really do need a tool for on the Major becausr you are fitting one seal against the sealing flange and it is so easy to damage it.

If you do a search you can find this subject covered in detail with measurements of a service tool from Henk.

You can drop the pump out of the bottom on a Major without taking the top off once you have the PTO shaft out. You may need to drop the drawbar down to give you enough room.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks Brian and Ian. Because of weight of top cover and no help do not believe taking top cover off will be the way I go although would like to see the insides. Ian, my hydraulic problem is in the pump according to the manuals and Brian( I believe Brian before the manuals). My power major sit for many years and with the help of this site was able to get her running last summer. Using a boom pole and chain I picked up an old box blade I had in the woods with no problem. As I was taking it back to the shop it began to swing about so sit it down and picked up again but believe unloading valve was rusted closed and I did damage to pump. I have rebuilt the valve chest with new seal and o rings. It will pick up bush hog about 12 inches and hold for some time. It will lift arms and they will stay up for days, just will not lift anything heavy. Thanks for the picture, lets me see what I will be going into.
Gerald

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

sounds like you might have damaged your pump.

Replacement pump on ebay here ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-MAJOR-HYD ... 414d091a12

Did you check all the O rings ? I found the O rings on the pipes that connect from the hydraulic pump had blown. I guess it must have be losing a bit of pressure there.

As for the lift cover. It is very heavy. Two of us managed to get ours back on, but it was a real job. It's tricky too to make sure the pipe connects from the pump to the lift cover at the top when you put it back on.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Ian wrote:sounds like you might have damaged your pump.

Replacement pump on ebay here ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-MAJOR-HYD ... 414d091a12

Did you check all the O rings ? I found the O rings on the pipes that connect from the hydraulic pump had blown. I guess it must have be losing a bit of pressure there.

As for the lift cover. It is very heavy. Two of us managed to get ours back on, but it was a real job. It's tricky too to make sure the pipe connects from the pump to the lift cover at the top when you put it back on.
Thanks again Ian. I hope it is just o rings, will know when I pull it apart soon. The pump on ebay seems reasonable but says will not ship to US. I have read if you have to change out the pump you have to adapt the feed pipe since they quit making the pump like the one in my power major. Again thanks.
Gerald