Oil Leek Help

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tiger
True Blue

Oil Leek Help

Post by Tiger »

Hi all

We had a bad oil leek on my friends Major at the front end behind the timing coks. So we stripped it all back renewed all the gaskits put it back together and it still leeks really bad from where the mounting plate bolts back to the engine in the pic. Is there any internal engine seals that could cause this or have i just done a bad job. Please all comments welcome

Another unfinished project

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

what did you seal it with ?
Whenever I put new gaskets in I always try to make sure the surface is as clean as possible. I found some of the old gaskets on our tractor were actually stuck on in places, and I had to scrape this off with a knife.

A leek is a tasty vegetable by the way .. :)

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Leak :lol:
Cheers ian, i used a gasket from agrline. I would of thought if it was a bad seal with a new gasket then it would dribble a little. This is running out. I cleaned all surfaces up well as you can see in the second picture

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You have got a socking great gap in the front sump seal according to your second picture. This would be where the oil is coming from.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks brian, what would cause this gap and how should i fix it. :shock:

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by maddyn99 »

Brian wrote:You have got a socking great gap in the front sump seal according to your second picture. This would be where the oil is coming from.
I'm still new to tractor repairs, can you point out where this gap is, in case I ever have to fix mine :p

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

That is the one. You have to drop the sump and put new gaskets and seals on it.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Tiger
True Blue

Post by Tiger »

Thanks Brian