Heads gone ??

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tiger
True Blue

Heads gone ??

Post by Tiger »

Hi all

My friends tractor had badly contaminated milky oil so we took the head off and the gasket and head appear to be ok. However the block definately has two cracks in it. Do we need a new block and how else would the oil be getting contaminated. Thanks :?:

Another unfinished project

Grani
True Blue

Post by Grani »

The usual way for the water to get to the oil is that the lower O- ring for the cylinder sleeves let the water through. This crack is not so bad that it looks. I have no other experiance of an engine with a crack like that than I once sold an engine with a crack to a guy, and he bought it because it was smaller than the crack in his old engine. :?

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

replacement block on ebay here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORDSON-MAJOR-E1A ... 335a7e6ebb

It could very well be the crack where it's leaking. Also if you live in a cold country, just don't bother with water, use anti freeze ! It stops the block corroding inside also.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If you have cracks there you may well have cracks in the bottom webs leading into the sump or the dreaded metal worm in the liners/lower ring grooves.

I would remove the liners and check before making any decisions.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

super6
True Blue

Post by super6 »

i know were you could get hold of a major engine i think it seized last year
not sure if that would help but its located in southampton.