Clutch and clutch disc question

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Foxen
True Blue

Clutch and clutch disc question

Post by Foxen »

I'm not sure which clutch disc I have on my -62 super major, it's a single stage clutch only so my guess is that the disc is at least a 12" one... The question is simply, if I now have a 12" disc, could I replace that one with a 13" one without having to change anything else?

Edit:
If I happen to have an 11" clutch instead, can I simply fit the 13" pressure plate and a 13" disc instead? Or do I have to modify the flywheel for that?
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You cannot put a 13" clutch on an 11" flywheel. You would need flywheel as well as thrust bearing assembly. The best you could do is put in an 11" heavy duty disc with spacers. (If these are still available).
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Then I suppose I had better hope I have an 13" clutch plate, can it be seen from somewhere on the outside which type I have?
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

13" clutches usually have a thrust bearing lubricator on the side near the belt pulley. Its a cap that you fill with grease and turn once a week.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Brian wrote:13" clutches usually have a thrust bearing lubricator on the side near the belt pulley. Its a cap that you fill with grease and turn once a week.
And these are never fitted to 11" clutches? If that is the case I am lucky, because I have one such grease cap...

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You are indeed lucky! Buy a lottery ticket TODAY!!! :D
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Thanks Brian, might just go and buy one ;)
Good to know what I've got if I have to swap it someday... If I then have a 12" disc, can that be changed to a 13" instead?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

I don't think there were 12" discs. The only ones I ever came across were 11", 11" Heavy Duty and 13".

That is not to say others were not used in different markets. I never knew that E1A range could have an oil immersed clutch until Barry M sent me the full details.
Brian

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

Well, the day my clutch gives up to me I can report on what disc it was, me and the tractor live in Sweden :)