What is This Part?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

What is This Part?

Post by JC »

I got this with some other parts that I bought.

The guy said that it came off of an industrial Major or Super Major.
What is it?
(The shackle isn't part of it, I just forgot to take it off before I took the picture)

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

It looks more like a plow part to me. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

It is the brace on the sub-frame that is attached to a Major when installing a loader or loader/backhoe. It goes between the side rails under the oil pan. The subframe can be dealer installed to the agricultural or industrial models.
JH

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Now that makes sence. Did the industrials also come with a belly pan as an option? It seems you could use this braket as a bolting point. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

Nothing in my loader literature suggests a belly pan as an option. In a stock condition, it would not be a suitable support for a belly pan because it only has one bolt on each side. It is meant to stabalize the side to side movement of the sub-frame, and to cradle the engine by supporting the oil pan. If you placed any force on it in the front-back direction, it would twist front and back. The original installation kit included a rubber pad assembly between the bracket in the photo and the oil pan. Part of the purpose of this bracket may be related to the fact that when installing the loader sub-frame, the instructions were to cut away the front engine supports!!! On a Ford loader installed on a Major, the engine is completely cantelivered, with its only support being its mounting on the bell housing!!! The front axle assembly was supported entirely by the sub-frame that is added in place of the original channel side frames which are deleted.

JC

Post by JC »

Thanks for all the info, Julian. The guy had a Super Major with the sub frame on it, but no loader or hoe, so the brace may have come off of it.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I never realized that the Ford loaders were made that way when mounted to a major. Thanks for sharing the infomation. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Julian in SC US wrote:Nothing in my loader literature suggests a belly pan as an option. In a stock condition, it would not be a suitable support for a belly pan because it only has one bolt on each side. It is meant to stabalize the side to side movement of the sub-frame, and to cradle the engine by supporting the oil pan. If you placed any force on it in the front-back direction, it would twist front and back. The original installation kit included a rubber pad assembly between the bracket in the photo and the oil pan. Part of the purpose of this bracket may be related to the fact that when installing the loader sub-frame, the instructions were to cut away the front engine supports!!! On a Ford loader installed on a Major, the engine is completely cantelivered, with its only support being its mounting on the bell housing!!! The front axle assembly was supported entirely by the sub-frame that is added in place of the original channel side frames which are deleted.
The first Chaseside hydraulic loader had the engine hung from the bell housing end only. Interesting if the mounting bolts worked loose as the skid would climb inside the loader frame when pushing into a heap and the crash down with the oil pan/sump hitting the front axle.

Tmac
True Blue

Post by Tmac »

My guess is that it is a pile of old wood fence poles;))

Just kidding;))

Seems that there is one on my old yellow SMD! Just like it.
Mounts tight up against the oil pan, with pads between the pan and the brace. Fits just over the wishbone about 6" back from the front plate on the engine. There is another heavy cross member that is a tube about 4" dia that goes from each side of the sub-frame that is located just under the clutch housing to. It has 6 bolts in each side.

JC

Post by JC »

Tmac wrote:My guess is that it is a pile of old wood fence poles;))
They used to be fence posts but now they are about 2 feet long and have been retrained to be gravity mitigating devices. Very handy when supporting the back half of a Major.

I thought that I may have gotten that part from Mark, so I thought it may have been off of your yellow Super. Maybe that's not where I got it, after all. Do you happen to have any pictures of the cross members under your Super that you can post?