Super Major Shawnee Loader Combo

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
marcusgs
True Blue

Super Major Shawnee Loader Combo

Post by marcusgs »

Hi, A friend of mine has a Super Major, fitted with what I am fairly certain is a Shawnee front end loader.
It seems to have a problem, in that every so often it will strip the chain which connects the crank, to the front mounted hydraulic pump.
As a consequence of this I am looking for a better way to power the loader.
I have had two ideas currently.
1) Utilise a spool connection (Which the tractor doesn't currently have) But surely there is a place to tap into for this?
2) Mount a pump on the rear PTO shaft (Which again this tractor doesn't have!) But I suspect that the blanking plate fitted where the PTO shaft should be, could be replaced with a PTO shaft?
Can anyone on here confirm if any of the above are possible please?

Thanks, Mark
Mark

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Is that a kind of duplex chain that mate two cogs together or an actual chain drive?

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Thats a duplex chain mate.

Have you some experience of these?
Mark

Foxen
True Blue

Post by Foxen »

If you want a more protected mounting place for a hydraulic pump that you will be able to shut off(and run at two speeds) I'd get a pulley for the major and mount that on the side(round plate on the right side of the gearbox), replace the pulley with a chain drive(or a toothed belt drive) and drive the pump off that...
Essex Lily - Super Major -62 (No. 1618924)
Mr Fordson - Super Dexta -64(dad's)
"Si is est non infractus , effrego is quod animadverto si vos can redintegro is!"
<Ut simplex, validus quod constanter ut ferrum talea campester = Super Major>

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

marcusgs wrote:Thats a duplex chain mate.

Have you some experience of these?
It sounds similar to how some of the old loading shovel pumps where driven rather than a shaft with UJs. We have an old Weatherill like that and it worked quite hard in its day and never broke the chain that was on it when we bought it. This makes me think there is something wrong.
Is the pump secured properly and in line?
Are the cog teeth damaged?
There could be something causing a shock loading to the pump like a badly adjusted relief valve. Cavitation in the pump causing loads to change rapidly. The external pump is likely to be a much higher output than the Major internal pump so it would be better sorted. Putting a pump on the PTO wil mean re-routing hoses, loss of PTO when connected. Is it a livedrive, if not then that will be a nuisance as well.

Super Major
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Super Major »

Also I believe there is something wrong, I had a tractor with front loader for lumber with a chain for coupling the pump and I have never had any trouble.
Regarding the pump on the PTO, there are also with the tang in order to use the PTO, i can not find photos, however I think they are also you.

marcusgs
True Blue

Post by marcusgs »

Hi,

I believe that the cogs are worn, and when the loader is driven into a pile of soil the chain slips and gets broken.

Ideally the cogs need to be replaced but where the heck he needs to go to find some at reasonable cost is beyond me!

Can anyone advise a place to source these?

Regards,
Mark

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Now that is a good question. If it difficult to source something the alternative might be to make up a short drive shaft with ujs.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

Mark
Here's a place to get chain couplings.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/chain- ... sst=subset
You may also be able to replace it with a flexible Lovejoy type coupling.

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

Amazing what you can find on the net!

JC

Post by JC »

I didn't actually "find" Grainger on the net. We buy parts like that from them all the time, at work, so that was the first place I thought to look.