1957 Major non-start

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
bluecraig0776
True Blue

1957 Major non-start

Post by bluecraig0776 »

I have a 1957 Major diesel and after I bought it, it ran fine but I left it for three months outside without touching it and now it won't start. I've bled the fuel system and have discovered that I get fuel out of pipes 1,2 & 4 but nothing from 3. Is this enough to cause the old girl not to run?

I haven't yet taken the plate off the side of the pump but will do so at weekend to check operation.

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I'm guessing that you're only getting a very small amount of fuel out of 1, 2, & 4. If so, I think that the fuel control rod (rack) is stuck almost in the fuel off position. You'll need to take the side cover off and see if its moving freely. If not, oil everything up and work it back and forth until it frees up. Be sure that you clean it well before you open up the pump and use very clean oil. A little bit of dirt can do a lot of damage.

While I was typing this I though of something else. Before you do everything above, make sure that the fuel shut-off lever is all the way forward. Disconnect it from the cable and move it forward by hand, to be sure the cable isn't hanging it up.

Gman
True Blue

Re: 1957 Major non-start

Post by Gman »

bluecraig0776 wrote:I have a 1957 Major diesel and after I bought it, it ran fine but I left it for three months outside without touching it and now it won't start. I've bled the fuel system and have discovered that I get fuel out of pipes 1,2 & 4 but nothing from 3. Is this enough to cause the old girl not to run?

I haven't yet taken the plate off the side of the pump but will do so at weekend to check operation.
You might want to read the post "stuck control rod/rack"
Gman: 1959 Power Major

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

Many thanks for your replies I will get onto it at weekend.

Thank you once again.

bluecraig0776
True Blue

Post by bluecraig0776 »

Thanks for your advice. Took side plate off pump today to find the control rod completely stuck so freed it off and she fired up straight away. Now on with the tinwork LOL.

JC

Post by JC »

Glad you got her running again.