removing rear axle

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
massey148
Not Quite Blue Yet

removing rear axle

Post by massey148 »

Need to replace rear axle seals on 59 powermajor. To remove the axle can i just split it at the half axle and take apart?Someone told me that i need to remove the hydrolic top cover and loosen some nuts there first. Could anyone walk me through the proper proceedure as i'm a novice and :beer: don't want to remove anything unnessarily?Thanks.

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

yes you want to remove the hydraulic lift cover

Follow this thread,
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... 41&start=0

massey148
Not Quite Blue Yet

rear axle seal

Post by massey148 »

Yeah, thats exactly what i was looking for.thanks! Also i am going to replace the PTO back seal. Should i do this when the top cover is off or can i do this via the back housing.Great tractor but just leaks constantly.

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

to change the back axle seal, you have to get the bearing off the shaft, and that's a bit of a job. You need a good sized hammer or a puller or something.

As for the PTO seal, you can do that any time. Just if you want to do it while the back end is full of oil you should drive so the back end is up in the air. That way it shouldn't leak everywhere when you pull the shaft out. The PTO seal is a bit fiddly also.

massey148
Not Quite Blue Yet

pto seal

Post by massey148 »

Thanks Ian. Think i'll give it a go shortly. The only way to learn is by trying.