Fordson Restoration - correct colours

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Tjibbe
Not Quite Blue Yet

Fordson Restoration - correct colours

Post by Tjibbe »

My father gave me the Fordson on which I learnt to drive in 1958 as a present. I want to restore this tractor to match the "picture in my memory" on the day when we received it on the farm.
Regarding restoration I am a complete novice, pse bear with my questions.
Tractor has been cleaned very thoroughly - now ready for painting.
I do not want to spray the standard universal "Ford blue" available from agricultural co-op outlet.
I learned that on the forum that "morning blue DAR 10984" for tractor and "orange DAR 60521" for rims are the original paint codes.
But - no one here recognize these paint codes - has anyone got alternative equivalent paint codes which I can try to find in South Africa ?

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Hello Tjibbe,

Nice to have someone from South Africa again.
Color is a hard issue.
I have been looking for the right color for mine because it's to dark. I use RAL. When I mix 1 liter Ford 1000 series bleu with 1/2 liter Ford 1000 series grey I end up with a light bleu that looks like the early majors. The younger the tractor the darker bleu it becomes ending up with Empire Bleu.

By the way, your name sounds Dutch.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Fordson Restoration - correct colours

Post by maddyn99 »

Tjibbe wrote:My father gave me the Fordson on which I learnt to drive in 1958 as a present. I want to restore this tractor to match the "picture in my memory" on the day when we received it on the farm.
Regarding restoration I am a complete novice, pse bear with my questions.
Tractor has been cleaned very thoroughly - now ready for painting.
I do not want to spray the standard universal "Ford blue" available from agricultural co-op outlet.
I learned that on the forum that "morning blue DAR 10984" for tractor and "orange DAR 60521" for rims are the original paint codes.
But - no one here recognize these paint codes - has anyone got alternative equivalent paint codes which I can try to find in South Africa ?
http://www.agrilineproducts.com has the fordson tractor paint and ships out of the UK. Not sure where in SA to get some though.