Gauges/Electrical Questions

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
maddyn99
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gauges/Electrical Questions

Post by maddyn99 »

I ordered a new Oil/Gen/Temp combo gauge that looks like this....

Does anyone know if the are supposed to work on 6v or 12v systems. At one point my Generator on my 58 Power Major was replaced with an Alternator and 12V battery.

There were no gauges on the tractor, so I don't have anything to try and match up. I have the new gauge in hand, but it had zero instructions.

Also I broke the oil sending unit that was in place on my tractor and I cant seem to find a replacement. Any clue where to get one in the USA?

The oil sending unit had two electrical connections. I am assuming one comes from the battery to the sending unit, then out to the gauge and one is for the ground? Does that sound right?

And would it be the same for the Alternator?

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

All Majors are 12 volt, we had no 6 volt systems on cars, trucks or tractors after the 1930's over here.

Normally the oil pressure sender has one connection, earth being through the outer case to the block.

Don't know what alternator you have fitted as this would have been fitted by a previous owner, they normally came with a dynamo. Check that you have a negative ground, again positive ground was normal but this would have to be changed to fit an alternator.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian