Rear Belt Pulley?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Dandy Dave
True Blue

Rear Belt Pulley?

Post by Dandy Dave »

Ebay Item, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3D1&_rdc=1

Looks like it is for a 9N, 2N, or 8N Ford tractor to me, but is not advertized as such. What do you fellow think? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Kim
True Blue

Rear Belt Pulley?

Post by Kim »

Hi Dave! I agree with you that it looks like a belt pulley for an N series that has been adapted to work with a 1-3/8 PTO shaft and the color would certainly indicate that it was on a Major. Adapted by a dealership from their parts supply and supplied with a new tractor? I believe the Majors usually had a right side mounted belt pulley. :?
Never give up!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Could have been adapted for a Dexta, shaft would be the same size.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I have installed the larger PTO shaft in the N series ford tractors before so I see your point about the 1 and 1/8th shaft to the 1 and 3/8ths shaft. The pulley gear box even has a 9N part number in it which is a good indication. But do the Majors and Dextas have the 4 bolt pattern in the back to screw the bolts in like the N series? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Chris Ivin
True Blue

Post by Chris Ivin »

The Dexta certainly has the required fixing points as a rear mounted belt pulley was an optional extra on the Dexta. I don't know but I would guess that the fixing points wound be in a similar position to the N series. The Fergie 1 3/8" belt pulley fits a Dexta OK.
Chris

Brailes, UK

"Dexta's rule the World!"

BarryM
Site Expert Team
Site Expert Team

Post by BarryM »

Dandy Dave,

There was a Company in Australia called 'Southcott Engineering' who manufactured rear belt pulleys to suit the E27N. These were usually used where the tractor had been fitted with a Overdrive or Underdrive transmission fitted between the Clutch and Gear Box. When this OD/UD was fitted, there was no room for a Belt Pulley in the normal position.
BarryM