Gasket for fuel lift pump.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
devondom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gasket for fuel lift pump.

Post by devondom »

Hi

Always great to read this forum, I dont think that I would have a working tractor without it. I have a 53 FMD. There is a diesel leak
coming from the gasket that joins the fuel lift pump to the engine.

I was going to replace it with homemade gasket (from cerial packet!) and gasket sealant. Is this OK as the existing gasket
seems to be made from thick cork? I cannot find this gasket as a separate part in agriline catalog just the whole pump.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dominic

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Hope you mean an oil leak! If it is diesel the lift pump has failed and diesel will be getting into the sump which will cause terminal damage eventually.

If it is oil, make sure it is not coming from a little hole, drilled in the lift pump body. Again you may need another lift pump.

Otherwise your gasket idea will be fine. Kelloggs gasket paper has worked well for me in the past. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

devondom
Not Quite Blue Yet

Gasket for fuel lift pump

Post by devondom »

Thanks. I am fairly certain that it is a diesel leak. So that would
explain why it has started smoking a lot and backfiring recently.
Also the oil has a weird burnt smell to it which I have not noticed before. I will get a new lift pump and do an oil change. Hopefully
I have not trashed the engine as it has worked since 1953!

Dominic