broken timing gears

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
shergar
True Blue

broken timing gears

Post by shergar »

hi guys just found out where the timing is knackerd on my ea1dkn tvo , the gears on the auxiliary drive shaft and the gear which drives the dustrubtor look like they are very badly worn , don't know why , when you turn the engine over the shatf turns the governor but not the dustubrtor gear, praying that those gears are interchangable with the diesel models, if my thinking is right those gears would drive a tachometer, correct me if i'am wrong.
also could someone please explain how the tvo manifold works, had a look at it tonight looks like theres a shaft going through it and at one end theres what i can only describe as a springy thing which is seized up , sorry if i sound like a numpty but i'am still new to all this, don't know what the proper names to things are :oops:
many thanks wayne

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The gear on the auxillary shaft drives the oil pump and the distributor slots into an offset slot on the oil pump gear. So the oil pump needs to be timed when you fit it back.

The manifold has a deflector plate that pushes the exhaust gasses across the intake instead of straight out the pipe. That is why it is called a vaporiser, because it heats the paraffin up to a vapor to burn in the cylinders.

I would not try to free anything off here unless you have a replacement manifold.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

cheers brian are those timing gears avaiable and why does the oil pump need to be timed :? so if there has been no drive to the oil pump could there be damage to the crank and the rest of the engine :?: (looking like a engine rebuild) best get a workshop manual .
many thanks wayne

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The pump needs to be timed because it drives the distributor.

There are a number of different gears/auxillary shaft combinations so you need to find out what is out there.

Manuals for your tractor are available from the main page here.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

shergar
True Blue

Post by shergar »

hello brian just seen a diagram of the vo engine and all is clear to me now , the gear and shaft arrangment should be the same as henrietta :?: or is it best to get them out and meausure them first. don't know where to start looking for parts, going to go to the tractor show at pickering to ask around there.
thanks for all the help.
wayne