Major vs. Super Major, Reposted

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
paflyboy55
Not Quite Blue Yet

Major vs. Super Major, Reposted

Post by paflyboy55 »

Not sure where to post this, but I tried to search for the answer and had no luck. I have been looking for a loader/backhoe to do some work around my Shark and haven't found anything that I have been able to afford. Yesterday I came across an ad for a 64 Super Major with loader/backhoe attachments and a bad engine. I'm trying to determine if the loader/backhoe will fit on my 57 FMD.
My concern is if the frame fittings are the same and how I would supply hydraulics to the attachments. The loader/backhoe for sale appears to be made for the Super Major(not a retro-fit).
Thanks in advance for any input.
Jack Mayers
1957 Fordson Major Diesel
1957 Fordson Dexta
1961 Fordson Super Major with Ford Backhoe/Loader

essex pete
True Blue

Post by essex pete »

I thought most of the more industrial TLBH combinations had separate front crank mounted hyd pumps or at least a PTO mounted pump. IMHO as a non true Major owner I would not lose the Super if it is just the engine. You will have the advantage of disc brakes and diff lock. I am sure it will all fit however, unless something on the loader frame will not clear the brakes on the '57 or something is mounted directly to the Super top cover. The latter would be unlikely I would have thought.
Last edited by essex pete on Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john.n
True Blue

Post by john.n »

cant you re-engine it?

paflyboy55
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by paflyboy55 »

I did rebiuld the engine on the Major and would eventually rebuild the one on the Super, but in the mean time I'd like to mount the loader & backhoe on the Major. I have pictures of the Super with the attachments but can't figure out how to post them here.
Jack Mayers
1957 Fordson Dexta

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

If it fits the Super it is 98.5% certain to fit the Major. The only concern would be if it worked from the internal oil supply. The Major would have issues here.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

you want to watch the exhaust pipe if you have a loader. We heated ours up so it was glowing red, then bent it over to stop it touching the loader. Not an ideal solution, but it works.

paflyboy55
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by paflyboy55 »

I figured I would have to have a PTO pump or something of that sort for the hydraulics. My main concern was whether the frame mounts would match up.
Jack Mayers
1957 Fordson Dexta

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

My '57 Major came with a Ford 713 Hoe and loader and there is a hole through the hood that looks factory made for the exhaust pipe. There is also a hinged sheet metal door over the radiator cap as there is no way to swing the hood panels up with the loader frame on the tractor. I'd guess this was a "standard" alteration method of setting these up as construction machines (there is blue paint under the yellow). If you need pictures of anything in particular for mounting, I'd be glad to try to post it here.
Never give up!

The Swanndri Guy
True Blue

Post by The Swanndri Guy »

Jack,for all the time you would need to get the loader and digger off the Super Major and onto your Major, then sort out the hydraulics, I would rather rebuild the Super Majors engine or find a replacement engine.Why have one Major ,when you can have two instead :thumbs:(pictures of the Super Major are on "Yesterdays Tractors") Cheers TSG.
Fordson PETROL Dexta
Fordson Super Dexta
Ford 3000
Ford 4000
Valtra/Valmet 900

Julian in SC US
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Julian in SC US »

Hello Jack
I have a couple of FSM backhoe/loaders and the original instructions from Ford on how to apply the subframe kit to the Major. The 713/723 backhoe mounts to a subframe kit that the loader attaches to. It takes the place of the standard channels that connect the clutch housing to the front casting on all Majors. Included in the kit were the parts to add the hydraulic pump to the front of the crankshaft. The instructions are very specific and entail such things as cutting away part of the existing front casting, cutting away the engine mounts at the front rails, adding stiffners to the front axle, etc.. The process was meant to be done at the dealer level, but it is not easily reversible. The subframe kit for the FPM and FMD was the same part number- Model 19-182. The kit for the FSM is part number 19-275. A note in the front of the FSM installation manual says "by ordering extra parts, this kit can be installed on FPM and FMD tractors". I think like Brian said, most of the parts will work. I think you could make the change but should only do it if you plan to leave everything on the '57. You will also leave a slightly crippled Super, since it will be missing some of its structural components.
Power steering may also be an issue- I think most loaders had PS and if yours doesn't , the loader will be a bear to use. Good luck!
Julian H.