Please look and advice

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Gman
True Blue

Please look and advice

Post by Gman »

I took some pictures of the tractor and parts I found just a few miles from me in search of a hydraulic pump for my 1959 Power Major. Sorry for asking so many questions and posting so many pictures but as most of you know I'm still learning.
The cone says Super Major and the bonnet says Major:
The back may tell you which it is:
It has raised pto, I really do not know the purpose of a raised pto. It shifted ok and seemed to be in working order. Can I attached this to my Power Major?
A look from side and front:
[url=http://img404.imageshack.us/i/frontdu.png/]Image

I need new front tires, mine are 7.5x16, these are 6.5x16 on good rims. Would these work on my Power Major?
Engine is no good but does have Simms pump:
There is a Lucas generator, starter, fuel lift and many other lose parts:
ImageImageImageImage
Dash is different from mine:
Please don't ban me for posting all of this. It is an all or nothing deal, the guy will not part it out. All parts seem to be there in order to put her back together except the engine. My gamble is if there is a hydraulic pump and that it works, because that is what I really need. Based on what you see do you believe it would be the same pump as the original in my Power Major. Again all help is greatly appreciated and also again sorry for asking so much and taking up so much space.
Gerald
Gman: 1959 Power Major

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Gman
Buy it, now, depending on the price.
If you don't want the raised PTO, you could sell it to cover most of, if not all of the purchase price.
The rear end, outboard brakes and front tombstone tell me it is not a super.
It has what appears to be a 2 stage clutch, therefore will be live drive.
Also looks to have an auxiallary hydraulic valve on it.
The injector lines on the pump are open to the air/rain, so don't expect too much from it.
Tyres/mudguards look ok.
Did he say why it is partially dismantled?
As you say, it's mostly all there. Got to be worth concidering.
Let us know what you do.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

It would be worth putting your engine in that back end with all the extras you have. Live PTO is a great addition. (If the clutch is OK).

The tractor is a late Fordson Major Diesel.

You could sell a lot of the parts and make a profit I would think.

Raised PTO is a much sort after item, perhaps not as important on a live trator but still a good addition. It enables you to run the hydraulics without having the PTO turning.

You also have spare hydraulic valves.

No worrys about the number of times you post. It keeps us all busy. :D
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

henk

Post by henk »

If the engine is correct to the rear end it's a april 1957 to 1958 New Major (markII engine) with extra hydraulics, two stage clutch and raised pto. All extra options. You even would have the seat I'm been looking for so long.
They made it look like a New Performance Super Major.
The engine is in bad shape.
You can earn the mony back by selling the parts.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

It also has the same double acting aux. valve as my power major. Another nice option. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Ian
True Blue

Post by Ian »

I really do not know the purpose of a raised pto.
Well, we have mowing to do now, that time of year again. The hydraulic pump is driven off the PTO, and thus the hydraulics. In order to pick up a mower with the PTO attached I would have to put it in working position and spin it up. Could get around this by, disconnecting the PTO shaft from the mower. But the raised just makes life easier. All modern tractors the PTO/hydraulics are independent.

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Thanks everyone for all the replies. My Power Major has dual clutch/live pto but no raised pto. So with it I could stop pto while raising lift arms which has always concerned me with the bush hog spinning while raising it? I was reading about raised pto, as I understand it the pto rpm's are lower with it. How about the tires, they should be ok being 6.5x16 instead of 7.5x16 like I have now? I wished the back tires were good. If the hydraulic pump is there then it should be the same as mine? I feel the Simms pump is probably bad since it has sit out like it has. The story behind it is the owner was using it and engine went out, he ordered a replacement and had taken tractor apart. When engine arrived it was bad and he sold to the guy who has it now the way you see it. This guy does have a lot of old tractors and vehicles and is in the towing business which I hope to persude to move to my house if I do buy. The levers on the valve chest moved with no problem which made me feel good about it. But then there is the gamble that the hydraulic pump is bad and that is what I really need. Thanks again for all the help and I'm sure I will have some more questions.
Gerald

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello eveyone, I just called the man and told him I would take it. Having to pay him extra $50 for him to bring it to my house. Hoping the hydraulic pump is ok. I guess I'm in the breaking business now.
Thanks again for your help.

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Hi Gman! I'd say you did well on the parts tractor. I would have taken it if it was as close to my home as it is yours and the fifty bucks for delivery is fair as someone else has to do the bull work of loading/unloading. If you decide to sell parts off it, I'm sure there are customers on this site who will be interested. Good luck with your project! :wink:
Never give up!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Kim wrote:Hi Gman! I'd say you did well on the parts tractor. I would have taken it if it was as close to my home as it is yours and the fifty bucks for delivery is fair as someone else has to do the bull work of loading/unloading. If you decide to sell parts off it, I'm sure there are customers on this site who will be interested. Good luck with your project! :wink:
Thanks Kim, yea I'm now a proud owner of a Major, he is to drop her off tomorrow. Hoping for good luck on the hydraulic pump. I know I can use the front tires, leveling box is good and mine is not, my oil bath has a pin hole in it and this one looks ok, my shifter will rotate this one is tight and shifted ok so time will tell, add the raised pto I think I did ok. I knew I had to pay what the guy wanted, he didn't need the money, you should see all his toys. Lucky that the boss at home didn't protest, only thing I didn't need was another project but if you get everything done then what?
Thanks again.

MAXPOWER
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by MAXPOWER »

GMAN i'm looking for some parts to complete my 56 -- let me know if you'll be selling any?

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

Hello to all, hope everyone is doing great.
She's home:Image
I turned the pto a few times by hand and oil pumped out, hope this is a good sign:Image
I don't think this guy wanted her to be taken away:Image
And he showed how he felt about Plymouths:Image
But in the end he new she was gone:Image
I believe if it isn't broken bad don't fix but I have new o rings for hydraulic pump, should I open it up and put them in before I put it in my Power Major? Thanks for everyone's advice.

Kim
True Blue

Please look and advice

Post by Kim »

There is no way installing the new o-rings can be wrong. Doing something twice is a pain in the tuckus! Good luck!

Gman
True Blue

Post by Gman »

MAXPOWER wrote:GMAN i'm looking for some parts to complete my 56 -- let me know if you'll be selling any?
Hey Max, I'm not sure what parts I will be using but send me a private message as to what you are needing and can go from there.
Thanks