New Hydrostatic Power Steering pics uploaded to Photobucket

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
scbco
Not Quite Blue Yet

New Hydrostatic Power Steering pics uploaded to Photobucket

Post by scbco »

Hello all I have uploaded som new pictures to Photobucket of the beast and have shown the hydrostatic power steering setup including the pump ram and orbitrol control unit.
http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab23 ... upermajor/
Regards
Steve
1963 Fordson Supermajor with front end loader and bloodybig boots road licensed runs like a dream

Agromick82
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: New Hydrostatic Power Steering pics uploaded to Photobuc

Post by Agromick82 »

Hi Steve
Omg I'm so excited to see you have converted to hydrostatic steering.
Couple question as I'm keen to do this. Did you use the original steering column?
What orbital unit have your used. What's it off?
Did you contemplate tapping into the tractors hydraulics?

Cheers

Mick

scbco
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by scbco »

No used a belt driven power steering pump ,could look at the old Orbitrol to see model as sold tractor due to it not being maneuverable enough and bought a Case skid steer.I can sell the Orbitrol as it is ok ,replaced it with a new one due to a steering problem but it turned out to be a damaged seal in the ram causing the steering problem .Bugger bought a new Orbitrol when we did not need to. Yes the original steering column.
1963 Fordson Supermajor with front end loader and bloodybig boots road licensed runs like a dream

Agromick82
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Agromick82 »

Update

I have now completed the conversion to hydro static steering. I had it plumbed up to the aux port on the tractors rear end. The tractors pump has more than enough flow to run the steering system, however I do not have live drive pto. This means that when I change gears I will have no steering. Also I cannot steer when using the 3pl.

As a result I have put the old power steering pump back on. This pump is driven off the front cranshaft and runs great.

I had to fab up a new steering column which has been a lot of frigging around

Hope this helps someone in the future
Mick

markr1001
True Blue

Post by markr1001 »

I just did the same. i used a gm power steering pump off an old truck. And an orbitol valve the father in law found. The column bolted fairly simply to the orbitol. i will get some pics next time im out working on it. Just waiting on new seals for my loader and cylinders.... way nicer to steer now