timing gears and camshaft update

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
datadawg70
Not Quite Blue Yet

timing gears and camshaft update

Post by datadawg70 »

Hi all, I want to replace the camshaft on in my '59 Major which is going in my '64 Super. Both engines had cams with 3 bolt gears and the fork style retainer. What do I need and/or need to do to use a new cam with a single bolt? I haven't seen any timing gears listed on anyone's website.

I also need some advice on a few other items:
Rod bolts - can I reuse the old ones or should I buy new ones?
Crank timing gear - I have concerns about my gear. It has some bad pitting. Can I use it or should a track down a replacement?

supermajor61
True Blue

Re: timing gears and camshaft update

Post by supermajor61 »

On ebay there are two camshaft tining gears for sale. They appear to have three holes. There is also a crankshaft timing gear. All are located in Shaftesbury Dorset.

Don't have the technology to make the link, but item codes are 200562676901 200562677621 200562680373

Seller quotes the Fordson part numbers.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Although there is pitting, as long as the teeth are not worn thin, that gear would go for thousands of trouble free hours. if you can find one that is better by all means get it, and use it. But if you cannot, It is useable. For the amount that we use these old tractors, it will most likely never give you a problem. I have restored many early engines, and never has a problem with some pitting on the timing gears. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I have found out a few bits and pieces regarding the camshaft retaining method on these tractors as I had a "horseshoe" retaining plate which was broken up, this is apparently not uncommon. As far as I can tell there were 3 different types of retaining plate, not all interchangable as the radius is different inside. The single bolt cams used the front mounting plate to retain the camshaft and did away with the small horseshoe plate. If you use a later single bolt cam you will need a later front plate which will have a different size hole through it I believe. I think new holland still sell these (around £150) as I tried to get a new horseshoe washer without success, and was quoted £150 for what I believe to be the later, full plate (which also has the front mounts that bolt onto side rails). I think the timing gears come in a couple of different widths too. I would reccommend checking out a parts book to confirm.

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

Roadless63, If you are going to need a set of gears and front plate, there is a set of 3 gears single bolt cam gear on ebay usa the seller is farmallboy63. He also listed the engineplate and camshaft earlier, do not know if it sold. You might send a email through ebay to see if he still has them.
Wayne in Va. USA
53 Major
63 super Major/Ford 5000
55 ford 600 5 spd
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

correction on my last post, should have addressed datadawg70 and the seller on ebay is farmallboy74.
sorry about that
wayne
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600