Rebuilding an engine & lubrication

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Lesterz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Rebuilding an engine & lubrication

Post by Lesterz »

Hi all,
I am about to reassemble a New Major engine & am wondering how to fill the oil gallery with oil as I assemble it. I could not remove the brass square headed plugs at each end of the block & I have been advised that this should be OK if there have not been any metal filings in the old oil (which there was not). Is it possible to fill the crankshaft with oil as I replace it in the block? Will the oil pump suck oil out of the sump when the engine is started or does it need to be primed? Is it possible to fill the sump & then spin the auxillary drive shaft before installing the push rods & other timing gears so that oil can be pumped through the oil gallery before the final assembly of the engine?
After all the work I have put in I do not want to run the engine without oil before I even get it started. Am I worrying about nothing? Any comments would be appreciated. :?

perrin hayes
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Rebuilding an engine & lubrication

Post by perrin hayes »

If you have used an assembly lube on all the internal moving surfaces it should not be necessary to prime the
lubrication system. Before you attempt to start the engine it should be filled with oil up to full mark on the
dipstick. Then turn the engine over on the starter with the oil pressure gauge line disconected untill oil
squirts out. If possible fill the oil filter container with oil first as this will shorten the amount of time for the
system to fill up. Do not attempt to start the engine untill you are sure that oil is flowing from the gauge line
and that this line is reconnected! Best of luck with this,
Perrin Hayes
1956 Fordson Major Diesel

GERRY
True Blue

Post by GERRY »

Another way is to keep pull stop pulled out untill the oil light goes out , then you know at least you have oil pressure,
then push in pull stop and let her start,Making sure you have agood battery an fully charged .
Good luck GERRY

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

With a socket adaptor and drill motor you can prime the oil pump, fill the filter and circulate oil , by spinning the auxiliary shaft, this is done prior to installing the rocker assy and timing gears. Even doing this I would still use assembly lube.
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by JC »

I do it exactly like perrin hayes does. If you have the injectors out, crank it over before you put them back in.

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Another method to assure oil has been circulated is to tow the tractor in highest gear with another vehicle until the pressure gauge stabilizes or the warning light goes out indicating that it has reached pressure, but EVERYTHING should be prelubed at assembly.
Never give up!