Running on 3 cylinders -super major engine

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Nick
True Blue

Running on 3 cylinders -super major engine

Post by Nick »

I am in the process of restoring a 58 live drive major, which has a super major engine, minimec pump etc. I re-built the seized engine, and the new starter turned up yesterday. Earlier i put it on, and finally got it running! But only on three cylinders. One of the plungers looks to be stuck, can you take this apart to free it up?
If i have to i will take the pump to be re-built.......any ideas?
Oh yay, look, another seized bolt! Lets get a hammer.....and some kano.....and some cider!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Running on 3 cylinders -super major engine

Post by henk »

Can't help you with the minimec Nick.
Hope some one else can.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Running on 3 cylinders -super major engine

Post by cwayne »

Nick, Sometimes when you have stuck plungers you may also have other serious pump problems ( rust ) that you may need to address, if you do not see any rust on the control rod and forks You might try to free the plunger by trying to work the fuel control rod, may require some light taps applied to the control fork of the stuck plunger.
If it does break loose, I would take the coupling apart, loosen the injector lines and turn the pump by hand until you know its not going to stick again.
I have also seen broken plunger springs and the plungers did not require much effort to free up. if you do have broken springs come back to the forum and I will try to help.
Take caution not to move any of the control forks on the control rod unless you have a way to reposition them to the exact same position.
This method has worked for me. Good luck
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600