Double clutch doesn't work

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
arjan_brouwer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Double clutch doesn't work

Post by arjan_brouwer »

I have bought my 3th Super Major with a few problems. But one of them is giving me a little bit the greeps :)

Shifting gears works fine, but the pto doesn't respond when i press the clutch. I can turn it into work, but it doesn't stop... The second clutch doesn't work.

i do not have much time at this moment , so i'm gathering a little bit information about what this can be. Any ideas?

JC
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Double clutch doesn't work

Post by JC »

There are a lot of things that could cause that. There are two easy ones to check.
First check to see if the pin is in the upper set of holes in the u-shaped bracket under the clutch pedal. If it is, move it to the lower holes.
The other thing is that the clevis on the clutch rod could be adjusted wrong, and you're not getting enough travel to disengage the PTO clutch.
Anything else will require splitting the tractor.

arjan_brouwer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by arjan_brouwer »

Those 2 easy things are checked :) I was already planning to splitting the tractor, but I hoped someone could tell me: "Most of the time it is ...."

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I wonder if it is just lightly rusted to the flywheel? If you put something like a Bush Hog (Topper) on it, and mow with it for a while, it may free it. Can you feel any difference as you push on the clutch within the range of the trans to the range of the PTO? Or does it feel like the same amount of pressure pushing back though the range? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

arjan_brouwer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by arjan_brouwer »

Rust can be. Oil is of very bad quality and there was an atlas 512 built on it. The pump was driven by the threshing pulley. The PTO has not been used for a long time.
But have they driven the pump by the threshing pulley because the PTO was broken, or did it gut stuck because they haven't used it for a long time?

To be honest, I think it was broken... But I can put the PTO under load.

By the way, I feel the difference when I press the cluth within the range of the trans to the range of the PTO.

arjan_brouwer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by arjan_brouwer »

In the rain I had the tractor for a fertilizer spreader. Couldn't get the PTO in work wich the engine running. Only when i started the tractor with PTO already in working condition. Doesn't respond at the clutch at all..

I also took off the u-shaped bracket under the clutch pedal. So I really could press the cluth max down...

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Arjan,

It's too bad you have troubles with your clutch. :?
I guess it's a wise thing to split the tractor. It isn't a very big job: even I can do it. :D

I struggled a bit to get the engine back on the gearbox, though.
The clutch slides over the clutch-axle first, so with someone turning the pto (in gear) so will get the clutch of the first part
of the axle pretty easy.
Then I took off the startermotor and turned the flywheel slowly. Than the clutch will go over the last part of the prise axle.

Good luck
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

JC

Post by JC »

If you can feel the main clutch disengage and then feel the pressure plate springs moving on the PTO clutch, I would guess that the release fork, bearing, and pressure plate are working like they should. That means that the clutch plate could be rusted, like Dave said, or a piece of the lining could have come loose and wedged between the remaining lining and the pressure plate, or center drive plate.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

About 10 years before I owned my Power Major, I had the joy of taking the two stage clutch apart. The PTO clutch plate came apart and released enough pressure on both plates that the tractor would not drive either. After I replaced the clutch, the tractor was used very little, and set aside because of faulty wiring. When I ended up with it, I at least knew that it had a very good clutch. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

arjan_brouwer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by arjan_brouwer »

Thnx for all your responses. It wo'nt be soon, but i will keep you updated. I anyone does have a bright idea, plz tell. But it looks like I have to split the tractor

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

Hi Arjan, I agree with Dandy Dave, using a bush hog,without a over run clutch, I have unstuck the PTO clutch disc on a Ford 600 by getting the bush hog over a large sapling or small tree with the hydraulics raised push the clutch in to release the PTO and lower the hydraulic. :shock: A less drastic method to try first , use the bush hog , accelerate and decellerate the engine with the PTO clutch released . :idea:
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Like cwayne says, you need something that will constantly change the load. I was raised on a 280 acer dairy farm an have run all kinds of equipment in my life. Nothing constantly changes the load like a Brush mower. If you hit something hard, the knives will fold back and the slip clutch on the mower will slip, or the shear pin will break. When the knives fold back, the mower will run out of ballance and cause it to viberate. If your clutch is going to free itself, that action will do it. As long as you go a little easy and do not shear the pin off by whaming it on purpose. If you have a spot that is full of brush that you have to back up, lower the mower, and go forward, that would be an ideal load. I would try that first for a few hours. It may loosen without a lot of trouble. Usually, unless the housing has a mouse nest packed in it, there is not a lot of rust holding a clutch stuck. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

arjan_brouwer
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by arjan_brouwer »

And I have it working! :D

Pretty easy actually. I have my father put on another Super of us and connected the two tractors with a PTO shaft. Sat on the Super with the clutch all the way down, motor not running. Second time that my dad activated the PTO of the working Fordson, the clutch released and is in working condition now.

Doesn't make strange noises, so it seems it was rust.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Ey ey Captian. Sounds like you are good to go. :clap: Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major