Super Major clutch problem?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
4040t
Not Quite Blue Yet

Super Major clutch problem?

Post by 4040t »

Hello,
I’m new here and was hoping someone might be able to give me a few pointers as to what may possibly be wrong with the clutch in my recently acquired super major live drive which I’m trying to sympathetically restore, but keep in it’s working clothes (built late 1960)
The clutch works fine (both stages), it’s just that the pedal is rather low (to much free play)
There was a lot of play in the brake cross shaft/pedal bushes, which has been sorted (new shaft/bushes), there is more play in the pivoting arm/bush on the side of the gearbox (not yet done, but will be)
But even when this is repaired the pedal will still be to low.

I have checked the rod lengths/pedal etc with another one local to me just in case something was changed in the past (they are the same)
The only thing different is the angle of the external quadrant/lever on the end of the release bearing cross shaft (mine is about 1/4” further back at the clevis pin hole point, which translates to a lot of pedal travel)
I’m wondering if the clutch assembly is set up correctly? If the plates were worn out i think i would have the opposite problem ie the pedal would be to high?
The only other things I can think of are
Wrong thickness release bearing, or worn fingers.

Is there some other known common cause for this?

Obviously I intend to split the tractor and have a look once I get a few other jobs out of the way, but any thoughts from those with experience would be much appreciated
Thanks
Adrian