Getting ready to paint the Selene/Power Major

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Getting ready to paint the Selene/Power Major

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Just finishing up a few more things on the Selene before I tear it down for painting, brakes, fixing a few oil leaks, and make some kind of DAR valve for it.
As luck would have it the oldest boy was down at his girlfriends place last weekend and was out scrounging through an old car scrap yard, and noticed a Major back in the weeds…with a DAR valve…and a raised PTO…..and bought them by the pound.
Funny thing about Majors over here in the US, parts can be hard to find, but sometimes when you find them, they have been sitting with no interest for so long the owners are happy to get rid of the stuff.

Pat

Some brain surgeon has hacked the end of the shaft off with a torch, I may see if I can cut down a regular shaft, chuck it in the lathe and make it work, or just clean it up with a grinder and not worry about it. Thinking about putting it on the Super Major as it will be taking over the mower duty now that the Selene is getting painted.

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Getting ready to paint the Selene/Power Major

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Pat
He must be number 1 son at the moment then :lol: :clap:
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

You Know it!

Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Back to where I started a year ago when I had my engine problems. If I can get the kids bike out of the shop I can start painting yet this week.
Pat

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Getting a little more done every day, Symco Thresheree is most of a month away but I hope to not be finishing it up a day or two before the show starts.
As you can see Granny is hard at work at her sandblasting booth.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice use for a 275 gal oil tank. :D Bet my TIP unit cost a lot more.... Although I have never been sorry for buying it, I could have saved a bundle. :wink: Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Been spraying lots of primer but no blue paint yet, maybe this weekend. Had Willow helping, she’s not nearly as good as her daddy is at wet sanding…… yes its story time again. Seems when Marc was still in high school he got expelled for a week for fighting, at the time we were in the process of rebuilding a F250 4X4 that had been rolled over, the body work was done and it was in primer. The boy spent his entire week wet sanding that truck, Needless to say he got quite good at it and hopefully learned that fighting was not the proper way to fix things. As I got the story from the school principal, there was a handicap boy in a wheel chair being picked on by a bully, my boy Marc saw what was happening, stepped in and gave the bully a beating he never forgot. Yes I had to give him the no fighting speech, telling him that it was wrong, but he still got a pat on the back for a good job, I was one hell of a proud father that day.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I raized two handicapped children both in wheel chairs. Good for Mark for Beating that Bully that deperatly needed it. :beer: I have a 1962 Ford F-250 in the yard here that I use to plow snow in my yard for fun every once in a while. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Marc and I got the running gear primered yesterday and Grany and I got it and the fenders painted this afternoon. still have to do the rest of the sheetmetal and we now have less than two weeks left!

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:Marc and I got the running gear primered yesterday and Grany and I got it and the fenders painted this afternoon. still have to do the rest of the sheetmetal and we now have less than two weeks left!

Pat

It looks good! I'm pretty sure she would look much more beautiful when the paint job is done :D .

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Yes it should look a lot better when done, and I’ll sleep a lot better!
What’s your major in college?

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

I'm an English major, to be more accurate about the course, Bachelor in English Language :D .

Oh I see, the fordson has a DAR valve in it . Here in our area, the dream of every farmer was that their ford/fordson tractors had some kind of DAR valve in it. Probably that is the reason why the two fordson super major around here had DAR valves coming from a ford 5000. But, at least one of those did work (I can't tell if the other Dar valve works because the farmer who owned the other super major would always put the fordson in his garage and he would just leave the farm work to his two ford 5000) :) .

And, according to your other old post in the misc topics if I am right, that your wife called the power major the"lemon" due to its yellow colour :shock: . Now she won't be able to cal it again that way because now she's BLUE :mrgreen: !!!!

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

Looking good, Pat :-)
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Beautiful paint job. :yeah: :clap:

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

We got most everything else painted tonight, hopefully we will have a day or two to spare before the show this year.

Ford5000y, Good luck with your education! I am a firm believer that a hard working common sense country boy with an education is by far the first choice to fill a job opening. :clap:

And yes the wife was told a few nights ago that she could no longer call it the lemon. Granny is telling me she hasn’t decided on a new name yet but has suggested “prima donna”.

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

You could just call me Juan, or Juan Carlos :D

I'm envious of that paint job!!!! It's very very SHINY :D :mrgreen: !!!!

BearCreekMajors, how many fordsons do you have? We don't have any, so fordsons were just the tractors in my dreams for now :( . But, we do have a ford 5000 'y' (you can look for the topic "new member, some questions" on the ford world series forum). My grandfather (who still works as a farmer) owns a very original 1973 ford 4000 (he bought it new in 1973) but, according to my father, they once owned a FORDSON MAJOR which ended up being sold :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: !!!!
Last edited by ford5000y on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

henk

Post by henk »

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

less than a week to go.

Pat

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

BearCreek Majors wrote:less than a week to go.

Pat

What paint are you going to paint the... ehem... grills? that topic has been the subject for quite some time, isn it :? ?
Are you going to place badges in the cowl and in the hood?

frode
True Blue

Post by frode »

The grills on my 1958 Power Major are silver. They have the original Live Drive/Live Hydraulic badges and have not been painted/restored.
frode

1957 County MarkIV Crawler
1964 County Super-4
1967 County 654
1977 County 7600-FOUR

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Got most all the painting done now.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

She is comming along nicely. I was in South Bend, Indiana for the Buick Nationals this past week. Just getting caught up on things here. Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Broadspeed
True Blue

Post by Broadspeed »

Looking great 8)

I have always wanted 4x4 Major, but haven't found yet
Dexta -60
Dexta Special -64

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Marc and I ran the County’s, the 54, and the Selene to Symco last night for the show, we’ve been so busy that I didn’t even get any pics of the Selene yet. About half way there the Selene blew the hose off the radiator filler bracket, it didn’t hurt anything but it did make a mess. Ill try to run over there after work tonight and get it clamped back on properly, after I get the lawn mowed, we haven’t touched it in almost two weeks, I’m surprised we don’t have any squatters camped out in the front yard.
Dave, if you ever get to the Iola car show let me know, I only live 10 miles away.

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I was wondering where in Wisconsin you were. Maybe we should get together and go to England next year for the Fordson Nationals. 8) We could even meet up with Grumpy. 8) 8) . I'm tinkin on it. :D Just gotta fill the piggy bank. :P Dandy Dave!

1960 Fordson Power Major