oil pressure trouble...

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

oil pressure trouble...

Post by oliver17 »

My fordson major E1A mk2 (with live drive) had low oil pressure at only 25 psi even when revved up :? i assumed a worn pump so i changed the pump once the new pump was installed and i got her running again the pressure was exactly the same i tested it with a screw in gauge as well to make sure it wasnt just the oil pressure gauge on the tractor still read 25 psi any thoughts?
thanks ollie

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: oil pressure trouble...

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Oliver
Welcome to the forum.
Did you change the oil at the same time (I presume you would've but I have to ask) and
what are the bearings like. Worn bearings will have more clearence, therefore oil pump won't have to work as hard to circulate the oil (less resistance)
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oliver17 »

yes i changed the oil and put a new filter on .
about 5 years ago the engine was rebuilt it hasnt done much at all since then so the bearings should be good

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Is it the original engine? the early ones had the pressure relief valve in the front plate.
Pat

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

On the two Fordson engines I have rebuilt I checked the relief pressure before instaling the pump, Major and Super Major, I found the oil pressure relief valve spring to be weak. I replaced the spring and made an aperatus to test with air, checked and shimed as needed. on the super I put air on the suction pipe and blocked off the outlet with a gauge. an't recall the exact arrangement but it proved very benifical as the Super would only had about 20 PSI. The aperatus(sp) to check the major relief was a pipe T with gauge and relief , the threads on the relief as i recall are not pipe but will engage enough to test the major would have only had about 9 PSI. Both engines now carry about 45-50 PSI hot or cold
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600

oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oliver17 »

thats definetly somrthing to investigate i think time to take the sump off again....

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

While you are in there I would plastiguage a rod and main. If I remember corectly.....a 1/16" shim under the oil pump relief spring will gain 10-20psi.

Pat

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Have an on going oil pressure problem with a 1957 Fordson Major (Diesel).
Pressure dropped from 30psi down to 5psi after 10 minutes running. Have had the crankshaft ground & new bearings fitted, replaced the oil pump with a new one. Pressure still drops off almost as quickly as before (checked with a screw in type gauge).
I removed the sump and connected a hand operated pump to the block via the oil gauge outlet. Pumped oil into the system. A good quanity of oil flowed
from around the main bearings, the test pump is fitted with a pressure gauge which did not register.
As it is difficult for me to work underneath a tractor (getting the sump off was enough) at this time , I intend removing the engine to further investigate the problem . Am in the process of building a stand at present.

R W
True Blue

Post by R W »

Wrong size main bearings were supplied. Waiting on the correct ones.

oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oliver17 »

Fianally had a chance to get the sump off again :cry: found the spring on the pressure relief valve had slipped past the split pin so i have put a shim in and replaced the split pin runs at about 45psi now very happy thanks for the suggestions

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Glad to hear you found the probem and the fix did not become a big expense. :D Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

45psi = very happy engine! :clap:

oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oliver17 »

Ive had the tractor out doing some muck spreading all morning held 45psi perfectly i then stopped for lunch started off again and about half an hour later the pressure dropped down to 35psi now doesn't go above that at all any ideas?

HOCK77
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by HOCK77 »

just got fordson mager can u tell me behind the oil filter houseing there is a spring and ball i think it was in rong the oil is not geting to the head it look like it comeing out a hole next to the frount lefter

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Oliver

If your pump is producing good pressure, you've got worn bearings. But you've replaced the bearings. This leads me to think that the pump is playing up again. [You get a small drop in pressure after a hard day's work, say 3-4psi, but not 10psi.]

Best

Adrian

oliver17
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oliver17 »

That's what I was thinking I have a friend who is bringing an oil preussure gauge which can be screwed into the side of the block I want to check its not the gauge on the tractor itself before taking the sump off again such fun :)

thanks again
oli

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Oli

A decent gauge is a good idea. You know exactly where you stand then. As you can see below, I have one permanantly attached so that I always know what's going on. We have heavy soil here and ploughing makes the engine work (which it loves). After a day of that I notice the needle drops a little, but only from 45psi down to around 42psi. That's on a totally rebuilt engine.

Hope that's a good reference point to measure yours by.

Best

Adrian

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

I'd be more inclined to suspect that pressure relief valve. Maybe, since you've changed the oil, which could have a greater detergence potential to loosen gunk in the engine, a particle has lodged on the seat of the pressure valve. Had that happen on an old car I once worked on.
Pavel

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

HOCK77, not real sure what you have there, if you can post a picture. the oil filter is on the righthand side of the engine below the injector pump, is this the port that the oil is coming out of, maybe yor filter housing is missing?
search for one of my olde posts "no oil up top", Dave posed a good oil flow diagram.

Pat