Fordson Engine Re-build

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
thestig246
True Blue

Fordson Engine Re-build

Post by thestig246 »

Hi everyone i am new to this forum and come to check it out!

i have a fordson major that im rebuilding i started taking it apart 5 years ago and never got around to it since!! :(

i am a complete ammuture and have no trainning on engines or nothing im 22 and self taught, i recently mannaged to rebuild a 13hp lawnmower engine, which i use for raceing and after copying another engine i had managed to get it together and running like a dream!

so i am wanting to get this engine rebuilt on the tractor, but really dont know where to start!

as it stands it is just the block with liners, and i put new pisten rings on thats as far as i got!!!
i have a fordson major manual which seems to have most of it in but its not the easyest to follow when your not a mechanic lol

any advice or help would be greatly appreicated as i would love todo this project myself, as if you dont try these things you never learn :)

dan
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Re: Fordson Engine Re-build

Post by henk »

Dan,

Welcome. As you say if you never do,you never learn. That's the spririt.
We will try to help you as much as we can do.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Dan

First of all, do you think you have all the parts? Were they laid out methodically when the engine was dismantled?

What year is your Major? The engines are basically the same but modifications were introduced along the way, so knowing the year of your tractor would be helpful.

Can you supply any photos of what you have done so far?

Adrian

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

Since you started with the piston rings on the pistons, did you check the end gap of the rings in the cylinders that they are gong into? If the gap is too small, you'll wreck your cylinders when they get warm due to thermal expansion.
Never give up!

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

sorry for the late reply,

i was told it was a 1958 model, new major, im pretty sure its the mk2 engine the bigger one same as the power major could be wrong!

and when i dismatled it, there was no organisation what so ever i have tubs and tubs full of bolts god knows where they all go haha :|

i have yet to start the project, just trying to get some idea together before i get it all out to stand there scratching my head :wink:

many thanks for your help im sure there will be some more posts to follow :oops:

dan
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

I'm guessing from your forum name that you're a "Top Gear" fan (we watch it over here frequently) and that you are in Great Britain somewhere. There is an unbelievable amount of expertise and help on this forum and there is probably someone not too far away from you who is a member of this forum and can help you with your big 3D jigsaw puzzle. If you haven't found it yet, the Fordson Tractor Pages have downloadable manuals that should help you go a long way towards reassembly. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. :beer:
Never give up!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Dan
Welcome to the forum :)
Are you ever in for some fun with your project, ive been doing these motors bare block re build for over 20 years now. i did the first one when i was 13 ish and i'm now 38. some days I still have to go look in the book to find what bolt goes where :lol: .
hopefully you have a good manual that tells you what bolts and things go where in the timing case and front mounting plate, some of them only go in certain places :wink:.
I hope you have all the main bearing caps numbered to as they need to go back where they came from on the block :wink:
when you put the pistons in the sleeves you do know that the ring gaps have to be spaced round the piston, not all in a nice line down the piston, watched a trainee one day do that then told him that it was wrong he never did that again :lol: .

when you put the pistons in use plenty of clean oil, and I use a good assembly lube on the cam/followers and all the bearing surfaces, also it would be good to prime the oil pump before fitting, A dry pump can take a while to fill and the motor could be damaged if it runs too long with no oil pressure .
good luck and if your stuck or not sure please come on here and ask :) , mistakes in doing this can be a huge expense if you get it wrong :cry:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

many thanks im so glad i found this forum i can tell you guys are going to be a big help!! :D
i am from leominster, in hereforshire UK. is there anyone that uses the forum from these parts?? :?:

Yeeah im a big top gear fan, have been for many years glad to see that other parts of the world dont take it too seriously either as some of the stuff they come out with is pretty close to upsetting some people :lol:

im 22 so still learning i could proberly send it off to the local engine place but wheres the atcheivement in that.. :roll:

as for the engine bearings, i sent the crank off to be re-ground as there were scores and marks ect, and had the head, injectors all done aswell :) but they put a box of bronze brearings in a box not sure what order they go in :?

dan
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Hi Dan
Are these bronze bearings 4 half moon shaped parts 2 with a lug on the outer edge in the center and 2 with out a lug and then they have grooves in 2 places on one face each, Im thinking you mean the thrust washers for the crankshaft :?: if so then the 2 with the lugs on go in the sides of the center bearing cap the others go in the block, the side with the grooves on points to the outside ends of the crank shaft so oil runs in and lubricates the faces of the thrust area preventing wear.
The old ones might have been steel backing and white metal face if you look in your pile of old parts. i had some like you describe for a motor the other day.
if not please post a picture and then we can see what part you are looking at :wink:
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Welcome Aboard Matey! :D Looks like you are getting some good help already. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Pascal
True Blue

Post by Pascal »

Hi Dan,

Welcome on board!

With the help of this forum I rebuid a 590e (the 6 cylinder version of your enigine), amd I had never ever seen an engine on the inside before.. :mrgreen:
Please check the "This and that about 590e"-forum on Ford Conversions. There are several pictures over there.

Good luck!
Best regards,
Pascal

Fordson's don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory.

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

:D [quote="thestig246"]many thanks im so glad i found this forum i can tell you guys are going to be a big help!!
i am from leominster, in hereforshire UK. is there anyone that uses the forum from these parts?? :?:

yeah im not far from hereford myself and im in the middle of an engine rebuild, :D

thestig246
True Blue

Post by thestig246 »

exelent news glad to hear someone on here is near by :wink:

sorry for the delay been busy with work, finally got around to dragging the engine out today!! :)

the chappie where i had the engine has already put the crank in but i noticed when you pull the crank front to back there is a slight bit of movement :roll: i wouldnt say it was anymore than a few mm, is this going to be something to worry about ?? presumibly i would need bigger thrust washers in the middle to stop that :?:

here are a few pictures i took today might help you make more sence of it, many thanks

but 1stly i dont know how todo that on here?? any help
"oNe LiFe LiVe It"!!!

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

I dont think u would want any play if its just been rebuilt, I cant find your pictures :(