New Fordson Performance super Major owner

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Fixersteve
True Blue

Re: New Fordson Performance super Major owner

Post by Fixersteve »

Ah right! what are PUH link arms then? Im just fighting to try and get the sump off at the moment!

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Well- the arms on the top cover have a extra "cylindrical" part just above the yoke for the down arms. This is where the pick up hitch linkage pins in to, this is so you have a pick up hitch instead of a drawbar - you have a draw bad and no pick up hitch but those arms are still desirable ! Nice extra to have. :)
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Ah now i understand! Im down near Hayle by the way. is there a knack to getting the sump off? cant seem to get it to budge!

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Ha, ohh nice place- I'm near helston. Umm you defo taken all the bolts out !!?? Therse quite a few !Might need to give the sump a few "taps" just to losen the seal, but theres no knack to it just patience !
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Looking good, Steve. Everything there, pretty much. The front wheels are wrong but not a problem. You need to look out for 19" rims with fomoco wheel weights. Your tractor was probably built on the same day as fmoeller's and mine. They are all very early New Performance SM's.

Not very happy with your workshop - but only because it's much better than mine! :cry:

Best wishes

Adrian

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Pity you aren't in Ireland, I'd swap you steel wheels for your four spokes if you fancied? :D
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Cheers guys! Yeh she is pretty much all there, its not my workshop. Ive just got a very good employer. Just got the sump off needed a few taps with a nylon hammer. @ halloween.... I wonder how much it would be to ship to ireland....?

Kiwi Kev
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Fixersteve
Good to see you got the photos sorted.
The sump is secured by 21 bolts.10 on the LHS, and 11 on the RHS. The eleventh bolt is recessed and not visable from the side. It is at the front of the sump, next to the front plate. Keep searching until you find it.
I did my rear crank seal just a few weeks ago, and it is alot easier to remove the sump with the flywheel removed also.
The flywheel will have to come off anyway, so take it off first.

As for the clutch, check it out while she's apart. Have you driven her since you've had her. Some clutch problems will only show up when it gets warm or under load. Check the pressure plate, clutch plate, pilot bearing and the thrust bearing. If you're not sure what they should look like, ask someone that does know, or just replace.(could be expensive)

Sounds like you've got yourself a bargin there. Reasonably sort after tractor. Sure it needs abit of work, but it's only time and money. Think of the knowledge you'll gain.
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

66 Ford 5000 6X (semi retirement)
International 784 4WD
& looking at another tractor!

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Cheers Kiwi Kev!

I found that hard to find bolt! Fly wheel is off, top part of crank seal but back in. Now need to order sump gasket and do the bottom half of the seal. No i havent driven her since i got her as the guy who had her before had drained all the oil and taken the fuel tank off etc..... will have a look at the clutch and see what its looking like.

Thanks for your hints, Cheers Steve

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Steve
I'm sure you know what you're doing, but make sure crank seal is soaked in oil, and you leave 1/8 inch protruding proir to reinstalling sump
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Cheers kev, have had the oil seals soaking and will make sure I've got 3mm protruding, is that on the sump seal or both parts??

halloween
True Blue

Post by halloween »

Fixersteve wrote:Cheers guys! Yeh she is pretty much all there, its not my workshop. Ive just got a very good employer. Just got the sump off needed a few taps with a nylon hammer. @ halloween.... I wonder how much it would be to ship to ireland....?
I bet it would be cheaper for me to send the steel wheels than for you to send the cast! :lol:
'Lily' 1959 Fordson Power Major

Kiwi Kev

Post by Kiwi Kev »

Fixersteve wrote:Cheers kev, have had the oil seals soaking and will make sure I've got 3mm protruding, is that on the sump seal or both parts??
I would just go with 2 or 3mm on both ends of 1 half of the seal.(normally the sump half)
Kiwi Kev
"Classic Contracting"

International 784 4WD

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

The farmer that had her must have stepped in a lot of Manure. Looking at the left step plate, and lack of wings, in the photo is a tell tail giveaway that she must have spent some of her life as a spreader tractor. Looks like you are on your way. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

HAHA! yeh the foot plates are completely gone and so have the mudguards!

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

My rear wheel rims and tyres have seen better days, any idea where i should be looking for some replacements......

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

Fixersteve wrote:My rear wheel rims and tyres have seen better days, any idea where i should be looking for some replacements......
Sandblasting the rear rims should do the trick :wink: rear tyres are very expensive :cry:

The front rims is for sale at http://old20tractorparts.com/fordson-e1 ... 86001.html and front tyres at http://www.agrilineproducts.com/partsca ... major.html part nr.: T-003 :D
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Thanks Fnoller, but i think sand blasting my rear rims would finish them off completely! at the moment i can put my fingers through the holes in the rims!

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

Fixersteve wrote:Thanks Fnoller, but i think sand blasting my rear rims would finish them off completely! at the moment i can put my fingers through the holes in the rims!
Hi I hear you on the rims In the U.K FYM eats everything on the wheels and fenders, Here in Canada it's The Calcium chloride they put in the tires for ballast, the stuff weeps out and away goes the rusting process till theres nothing left, those 36" rims are rare here, and hard to replace :cry: .
There are wheels and tyres on E Bay UK, as used sets some even have good or new tyres if your lucky, seen a few in the last week or so but you might have to be willing to travel a bit to get them :wink: Are your dishes savable, as I don't think many had the scalloped dish that you need for the supers but the 8 lug rim is the same :) .
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

Fixersteve
True Blue

Post by Fixersteve »

Well chaps, had a parcel come from agriline today at work, so this evening I've got the sump back on and her engine and gearbox back together, taken side rails off and tombstone, along with front axle. Rear wheels will come off tomorrow so I can tackle her brakes. Thanks for all your help do far. :beer:

Kim
True Blue

Post by Kim »

If you don't do the clutch and it quits on you after you get it all together, you will boot yourself in the bum many times as you take it apart AGAIN! Do it now, do it right! I speak from experience!!!!! :cry:
Never give up!