faulty throttle

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

faulty throttle

Post by brinky »

Hi all,
I decided to put the major undercover for the winter, after charging the battery a couple of turnovers and it fired up. Ticking over nicely, put it in gear, pressed the throttle lever and nothing happened !!! just stayed at tickover, no change in revs with the lever all the way down.
Whats the likely cause before I start dismantling bits ??

Thanks

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: faulty throttle

Post by Dandy Dave »

The rack in the injection pump is stuck. There has been quite a bit on this posted in the past so do a search. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

cwayne
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by cwayne »

Brinky and all,
By all means if you get the rack unstuck,check and or change the oil in the injector pump.
I worked on a Dexta pump recently, had stuck plungers and rack,with plenty of rust. The owner did not know he was supposed to check or change the inj. oil. While getting parts at the injector service shop the mechanic said he had been there over 20 years and had just seen his first Simms pump with a red notice tag attached that addressed the oil change.
It is very easy to neglect this task and will for sure eventually cause problems.
Wayne in Virginia USA
1953/57 Major/wheels of a fortune
1963 Super Major (Ford 5000)
1955 Ford 600

Pavel
True Blue

Post by Pavel »

Not sure which model FM Brinky has, but from a previous post believe it to be an early one. In which case the Simms does not have oil but is lubed by the internal flow of diesel fuel.
Pavel

brinky
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by brinky »

Hi, I have 1956 Major Diesel, is the rack something I can get to ? Or do I need to remove the injector pump?

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

Pavel is right. No oil is needed. Some revision comp. made a filling hole and say the pump must be lubricated. Just pore some clean diesel in it. Too much will leave by the pig tale.
You can work on the pump in a clean environment. Don´t let it open over night or so.
Remove the cap with the eight bolts. Then you will see the rack and can feel if it is loose.
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I