New performance starting issues

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Matt 1944 N
True Blue

Re: New performance starting issues

Post by Matt 1944 N »

Hi Liam, after getting it rebuilt and running last night i have started it tonight from cold and it started a lot better and run on all 4 straight away, all i have to do now is touch in the paint on all of my bolts as the picture is when i replaced it the first time around but at least i will have a useable tractor then. if i was you i would look for a good genuine cam.

Matt
1945 Ransomes MG2, 1950 P6 E27N, 1963 NP Super Major

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Thats great news Matt. My old camshaft is still fit for use ,showed it to a local mechanic today and he said it was ok .The only reason I got a new one was there was a slight score on the lobe that drives the lift pump.My plan is to give it some work and if things dont improve I will fit the old camshaft .It is good to see some light at the end of the tunnel.Liam.

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Hi fellas,just to update this thread at the beginning of March I used the super on the power washer for a few hours and apart from a leaking front pulley it ran well ,after that it was put back in the shed,at this point it was starting a bit better but not good enough ,I was busy with work and seeing to the leaking pulley seal and I only got back to it last week.I decided to get the starter overhauled as it was the only bit not touched ,got it back Saturday and refitted it ,it needed a new armature .Imagine my surprise it started instantly after sitting for 3 months and has started the same today .The starter was not turning fast enough ,that was the problem all along.It was a good weekend .Liam.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Hi Liam

You live and learn! I learnt the same lesson with my first Diesel Major. The cranking speed of the starter motor is definitely an issue and one which you can expect if it hasn't been refurbished. Fifty + years is along time.

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

ps :needpics:

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

I will be wiser when I tackle my blue orange super Adrian,as for the pictures I will do my best but I am not to hot at this computer stuff ,I will have to ask the other half ,liam.