Cross lift shaft removal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Cross lift shaft removal

Post by major m »

Help :scratchhead: need to replace lift arms and cross shaft but how do I get the shaft out?
I have one lift arm off and have taken the lid off the back end now I'm stuck :(

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Re: Cross lift shaft removal

Post by major m »

Sorry forgot to say I'm working on a 61 super major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

You need to take the lift off as the shaft only comes out one way and there are washers that will drop down so the new shaft will not go back. The centre housing may also be rusted onto the cross shaft and may need heat and a lot of force to free up.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

Thanks Brian, can you tell me which way the shaft needs to come out as the off side lift arm is seized on.

I should mention I'm changing the shaft and lift arms as agriline replacement lift arms won't fit on original
Cross shafts due to them being made with a locating key way.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Cross shaft goes out towards the Quadrant. The bushes on that side will come out too as the centre spline is larger than the outer bushes. That is why it will only go one way as the centre spline will not go through the washer on the other side.

Supers also have a keyed spline in the lift arms and in the centre housing. I suppose the "Land of Nearly Right" has put it in a different place or made it a different size. I suppose it all helps to increase profits! :cry:
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

Managed to get the other lift off but no luck with the shaft. I've heated it,beaten it,swore at,it not a millimetre of movement :curse:
Anyone got any ideas ???? :scratchhead:

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

Take off the lift cover, then you can heat the the arm for the hydraulic :twisted:
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

Have the cover off and have heated and banged and cursed but to no avale :cry: :cry:

super6954
True Blue

Post by super6954 »

major m wrote:Have the cover off and have heated and banged and cursed but to no avale :cry: :cry:
Hi
I had one here I never did get apart just ended up putting a spare top on :run: . I have heard that sometimes the splines wear, then the center piece ( D D bracket :wink: ) slips round a half spline and jams :eyes: :cry: , causing it to bind so tight it won't slide apart :idea: .
I did see one once was so worn guys drilled a hole right through the center bracket and shaft, then put a bolt in to lock it back to the shaft :eyes:
My suggestion would be take it to a responsible machine shop and get them to try pressing it out :idea: ,
Without breaking the housing :)
Regards Robert
A Fordson is for life not just for Christmas !.

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

Thanks Robert
I had thought in desperation to try cutting the shaft either side of the push rod removing the centre piece so I can get to it easier and try drifting it out. Is that possible or is the shaft hardened? :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

The shaft is hardened and would be quite a job to cut as you do not have a lot of room. The other course of action would be to split the centre housing but that then leads to more expense. I take it you have tried around for a s/h lift arm?

Another nasty thought! If the splines are wrong for the lift arms the new shaft splines may also be wrong for the centre housing. :cry: :stress:
Brian

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

The reason for changing the shaft is that the spline was nearly non existent through rust which probably caused the lift arm to spin on the splines. Looks like more expense :curse: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'll try an engineers shop with a press I think

dennis
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by dennis »

Hi major m

I could not get my cross shaft out no matter how much heat or pressing I applied.
I cut mine into three, using a powered, hand held reciprocating saw, through the removed oil filler housing.
The centre (the rusted bits ) dropped out and the shaft ends were then easy to remove.
Once the centre was out in the open it was very much easier to work on the shaft/radius arm and free them.
The shaft on my Fordson was the square type and was not hardened but I have no knowledge of the splined type.
Being the square type it was very easy to make a new one.
The reason I wanted the shaft out was to be able to renew the bearings and bushes that support it.

Dennis

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

:D :D I'm all smiles it's out.
Had to split the ram arm off the lift shaft but its out.. All I need now is a new ram arm.

A quick question, are there two bushes either side on the shaft with an spacer I between or is it three bushes can anyone
let me know.
Many thanks Mark

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Two bushes and a spacer with a square "O" ring on the outside.
Brian

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

Many thanks Brian, not sure what you mean by square o ring,only have a thrust washer next to ram arm and locking tabs on the ends of the shaft

fnoller
True Blue

Post by fnoller »

I think brian means square oring for square shaft :wink: i dont think you can fit it on yours spline :buddies: :D
Fordson for life...

1955 Fordson Major (restorating)

1963 Fordson Super Major New Performance (New Project)

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Haven't done this job before so all new to me and learning a lot. Have to admire Mark's terrier-attached-to bottom-of-trouser-leg tenacity! It's clear that this job, tricky as it is, is not going to beat him. :clap:

Mind you ..........

:needpics:

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

No, not the same as the Major but the "O" ring could have been a "Service Modification" as Fords called it. It was fitted to the Ford 5000 as standard from 1964.
Brian

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

:D it's all back together just need to start her up and test it tomorrow. :D
All fresh oil in both gearbox and rear end lets hope it works :? :?

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

AdrianNPMajor wrote:Haven't done this job before so all new to me and learning a lot. Have to admire Mark's terrier-attached-to bottom-of-trouser-leg tenacity! It's clear that this job, tricky as it is, is not going to beat him. :clap:

Mind you ..........

:needpics:

Best

Adrian :thumbs:

I'm gonna have a go at pics tomorrow with the help of the wife :roll:

major m
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by major m »

look ive done it, a photo of the new shaft and it works :clap: :clap: :clap:

ill try a photo of the old shaft if this one is a success

AdrianNPMajor