Spool Valves.

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Spool Valves.

Post by Brian »

Pictures of the various valves used throughout the world.

Major spool valve, Australia.

Super Major spool valve, Australia.

Ford spool valve for Super Major, Dexta and Super Dexta, United Kingdom.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: Spool Valves.

Post by Dandy Dave »

Power Major. United States.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Double acting spool valve for Super Major and Dexta from 1957 to 1964. Mounted on a plate in front of the lift and was piped from the ASC. I think I can remember seeing one but am not sure.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Spool valves from Australian 5000 tractors.
Brian

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

found this one on a Doe.

HoldTight
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by HoldTight »

In this Fordson pdf file http://www.fordson.se/5_Hydraulik_Verks ... 47-166.pdf I found the following:

"Valve Control Unit
The valve control unit is located at the front end of the ram cylinder housing and contains a control lever, piston
valve, non-return valve, unloading valve and a jack tapping. Oil is delivered from the pump, through the feed pipes to
the piston valve ; movement of this valve along its bore is controlled by the hand lever, which is returned to the neutral
position by the cam roller and spring, housed in the lever body, as soon as the lever is released.
A jack tapping is provided, adjacent to the piston valve bore end plate, for those applications where external hydraulic
pressure is required. A second valve unit may be bolted to the front of the existing valve body to provide an additional
hydraulic service
."

My aim is to be able to use a 1952 Fordson Major with a hydraulic fence post knocker. The tractor currently has the single hydraulic lever which operates the link arms and when they have raised to the top of their travel then diverts oil to the tipping pipe. This is unsuitable for use with a post knocker.

I would like to know if bolting on a second hydraulic valve unit would give a single acting auxiliary hydraulic service which is independent to the operation of the three point link arms?

With thanks,

HoldTight.

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

I did try this but could only raise the hammer a short way then the relief valve would come in nothing wrong with the hydraulics, it's just the way they are, that was onImage a 55 major :cry:

HoldTight
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by HoldTight »

Just to clarify Chris, you added a second hydraulic valve to give a second service? Would the second service operate independently of the link arms?

Why did the relief valve blow all the time? Lifting the post knocker weight is relatively light work compared with say, tipping a loaded trailer!

HoldTight.

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

That's right I've got one on each of my 55 majors but I think it's the position of the ram and pivot point there next to no leverage I did have a post on here about it a year or so ago might be worth looking at

HoldTight
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by HoldTight »

Can anyone provide information on what parts are needed to add a second hydraulic service to a 1952 new Major.

Thanks,

HoldTight.

Found the answer: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... hp?p=25845

1962 model
True Blue

Post by 1962 model »

I have been considering this issue myself and I have decided to permemantly block the supply tube
from the tapping point at the right hand rear of the seat and the TPL lift handle, ( need to remove the valve body to get it out ) I see no reason why I shouldn't take a supply from this taping point and return the flow via an external hose to the plug immediately behind the lift handle.

The Fordsons use a hydraulic pressure between 2000 and 2200 PSI and these pressures should not be exceeded without risking sheering the hydraulic pump drive gear key or worse.

By having a external path for the main oil supply to the standard Fordson hydraulics, gives the oppertunity to fit a modern remote spool valve in this line, ( from your local supplier ), but this must be the one with the adjustable pressure relief valve to avoid exceeding the Fordsons maximum 2200 PSI.

In doing this it will still allow for the normal TPL hydraulics and the additioanal double acting supply too.
If the the TPL hydraulics are not being used as in the situation of some fork lifts which are braced to stop them lifting, then a single acting supply should also be possible at the same time through the tapping hole on the left side.
I have both a single acting and double acting suppy on my Power Major, but I have the Australian accessory spool block as shown in the picture above, the method I have outlined is for one of my other tractors.
Although not essential, the best oil pump to use is the higher volume Super Major one, in the past these could be ordered for use in the 1954 to 1960 models, and a special adapter elbow was available from Ford to fit the verticle delivery tube that these models used.
If you had access to a Super Major pump, a right angle adapter elbow could be made.

Agriline were supplying the old type 1954 - 60 pump, few people are aware of the upgrade by Ford all those years ago!
I have the upgraded pump in my Power Major, and I was using it to good effect this morning, it gives an increased volume of oil for a faster hydraulic lift, it achives this by a smaller driven gear the resultant changing of the pump angle, the pump gears themselves are likely quite similar.

Mike

guduell
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by guduell »

If i find and mount some spool valve for the super major will thisoutlet be independent of the position of the main lever and of the draft/position control lever?

Ie will the main lever control the the point arms and the outlet(s) in front of the saddle control external connections?

My 58 major has the extra aux lever and by this i get two independent funtions, one for the the point arms (and also an d independent external) rear and one for the front loader.
1958 Major
1953-59 mix with backhoe Hymas type 3 (project)
1961Selene 4wd (project)