3-point max load?

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

3-point max load?

Post by mark_c »

I'm buying pig feed 1 tonne at a time now. They forklift a pallet-load into my van but, when I get home, it's a manual job to haul the bags into the store. If I get some 3-point pallet forks do you think my '53 can lift the load? I've read the Owner's Manual & plenty of other stuff but haven't spotted this info.

Timeee
True Blue

Re: 3-point max load?

Post by Timeee »

Dear Mark

I agree that the max lift figure is not given in Specifications. Probably because there can be many variables (typically, how far beyond the hydraulic arms does the centre of mass of the load sit). The usual limitation is that the front wheels come off the ground, before the relief valve blows on the hydraulics. Once again, this depends on the efficiency of your tractor's hydraulic system. From memory, we were told by the local Fordson dealer not to lift anything heavier than 13-14cwt. My NP Super Major lifts big round hay, or haylage bales on a spike at the back, although it is unable to lift a silage (really wet) one. The other problem is any sideways force on the arms, if you have to negotiate uneven ground, as the check chains can take quite a beasting. Best take 30% of the feed off by hand when you get back and then your Major can probably safely deal with the load that's left.

Regards
Tim E

Mjg1705
True Blue

Post by Mjg1705 »

Hi all, I've heard that the max is around the 940kg mark - I have never attempted to get close - I would follow tims point and take a percentage off ( several bucket loads) haha - and then fork it out - but remember that the feed and the weight of the pallet fork system combined must not exceed the total - so take 20% out your feed and providing your hydraulics are pretty good - she should handle it ! :D
1963 fordson new performance super major. And An array or fordson parts and pieces !

mark_c
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by mark_c »

Food for thought. Sounds like it would be marginal at best, especially if the 940kg figure is at the end of the lift arms whilst the pallet's COG is about half a metre out from there (good point Tim). Reckon I'd be better off spending the money on a braked pallet trolley & make a nice big ramp, they can dump the feed on the trolley in the van & I can push it about with the tractor in the yard when it's rolled down if I can't move it by hand.

Cheers guys, useful stuff :beer:

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

As Tim points out, it's not just the weight but how far out it is. You may also have to counterweight the front of the tractor to make sure it doesn't rear up.
Basically you have to suck it and see. As a guide, in the first photo below I raised the plough on tick-over with a 90kg guy standing on the back end of the plough. The hydraulics didn't flinch.
In the second photo the tractor lifted the power harrow easily on tick-over, but the front was a little light when the harrow was off the ground
Tim also mentions the check chains. Make sure the lock nuts are tightened, otherwise the threads in the turn buckle will be stripped.
Best
Adrian :thumbs:

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Oops! The power harrow got lost when the photo uploaded. Here's another image that shows it.