Power Major down but not out

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
Matt in WI
True Blue

Power Major down but not out

Post by Matt in WI »

Just thought all of you might want to take a look at the 1960 Power Major while its in bits. The old girl is pulled down at the moment to replace the injection pump drive shaft. First time the engines has ever been apart since new I might add, aside from a water pump. It has been used on our farm on nearly a daily basis since it was bought new in early 1961. Just a testament to quality engineering, maintenance and great lubricants. Thought I would give a look at the rod and big end bearings as long as the sump was removed as well. Will get some more photos as work goes along. Cheers to all.
Last edited by Matt in WI on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Matt in WI
True Blue

Re: Powe Major down but not out

Post by Matt in WI »

Sorry It wont let me post any photo's. Am I doing something wrong ? :x

Matt in WI
True Blue

Re: Powe Major down but not out

Post by Matt in WI »

GOT IT NOW !

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Re: Power Major down but not out

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Matt, welcome aboard!
It looks like you may have a few bad habits as well :beer: , what all do you guys have? Where in the land of cheese heads are you at?

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Speaking of bad habits. I saw a saying a few days ago. "Stopith thy vices before they stopith thy." :wink: What do you have for options on your 60 Power Major? Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Hello Dave,

Dads Power Majors as we like to refer to it has a few options, rear PTO disengagement box, belt pulley, front wheel weights and live drive of course. We sometime ago did remove the front wheel weights to make it a bit easier for ole dad to steer but set them off to side for later. I wanted to add power steering but then after careful thought did not want to alter its originality in any way. I would like start on a full restoration of the tractor but then again its just a true survivor so I have mixed feelings about it. The only "modification" that has ever been done is we added one more rear wheel weight per side, that could of course be easily sorted and a tank heater was added some time ago for our cold Wisconsin winters.

Greetings Pat,

I see you to are also from Wisconsin, :beer: I dairy farm outside of Wausaukee in between Green Bay and Iron Mountain Michigan. We have accumulated a bit of collection over the years, Dexta's, Majors and a few County's, 22 tractors in all so not large by any standard, besides my farm work they do keep me quite busy I will say. We are sort of recluses and don't show them much being sort of "prisoners" to the farm in a way as dairy farming will take up most of your day by the time chores are done. Again Thanks for the welcome ! -Matt
Last edited by Matt in WI on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

Nice. Mine also has the raised PTO, Live drive, Double Acting Remote Ram Valve, and Factory installed Power Steering. I had no idea that these were all options until I joined this group and some of the fellows were :mrgreen: About it. Our DAR valves were not installed across the pond like they were here. Do you have a DAR valve? Look here for the one on my tractor. http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=5568 Great tractor. It sure is fun to run. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Yes it has a DAR valve as well, I can remember my Mother cursing that thing like it was yesterday ! It would leak oil all over our overalls LOL !

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Hi Matt, Sounds like you guys got a nice collection of toys up there, what all have you got for County's? My County Four came from over by Coleman and it seems like there are quite a few of them up there, I know of a few over by Wausau also but they are quite rare over here by me.
Had enough snow yet???? Me and few buddies have put better than a 1000 mi on the sleds already, but I have had enough....this crap can go away any day now! I had to run down to Fond Du Lac yesterday and you can still see the cornstalks in the fields down there.

You may want to look at replacing the spindle bushings and seals on your dads Power Major, I have a 54 that I put back together last winter with new bushings as well as quick going through of the steering box, and it is quite noticeably easier to steer than any of my others.

And your mom was rite! Every one of the US style DAR valve I have seen leaks at least a little.

Take care.

Pat

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

PAt, We have a County 4, Super 4 and a 1184 TW we had brought over a few years back. The 1184 works a treat for hauling muck out in the winter through the deep snow, sadly it is down at the moment due to a gearbox issue that came up this fall while doing a bit of corn stalk disking. I plan on moving it in the shop after dad's Power Major is done. I do need to go through the steering gearbox on that Power Major as well, it has leaked at the shaft seal for a little while now, sort of a hindrance more than anything but your right a spindle re-bushing might be in order. I never thought it was that hard to steer but dad has just turned 84 in January and I can imagine he is not as strong as he was in 1961 when he brought the old girl home. Your quite right, this snow could let up anytime now as well as the below zero cold ! We have had our share of cold weather break downs around here this winter, nothing wants to work right when its frozen. LOL

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Did you guys pic up that 1184 at an auction down by Lena a few years ago, had a little tic in the top end like it needed the valve clearance adjusted?

Pat

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

No its not that one, I didn't know there was one for sale in Lena ? Was it an auction or listed for sale locally ? Mine came out of the UK along with a Super Dexta Roadles I bought a few years ago, both tractors were bought from the same gentleman so I got a fairly good deal. Transport was a bit of a hassle but we got them both home.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

One sold up there probably 4 years ago at a auction, the one parked by the barn off the side of the road south of Lena is still there as far as I know, I happened to catch the owner there one day several years ago and he had no interest in selling it then. as far as I know it hasn't moved from that spot in the last ten years. I've heard stories of a few others up by Ladysmith off of some back road but the owner doesn't want to part with them ether, which is usually the case when you find one.
Did you have your units shipped into Green Bay?

Pat

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

I wish they could have come into Green Bay, they came in through the Port of New Jersey and there was no way this country bumpkin was going after them ! :shock: For everyone's best interest we just had a trucker bring them right here to the farm, I could not fit them both on my 25' goose-neck anyway and the 1184 makes for a good load by itself. I see there is a Super 4 in Minnesota for sale, have you seen it ?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

I had heard about it but havent been able to find the listing, there was a Murr Hill over in Minnesota for sale not long ago as well.
That sucks having to haul them all the way from Jersey, Im sure that had to add a few more dallars to the cost. They bring coal into Green Bay, I had always assumed cargo ships come in as well?

Pat

county654
True Blue

Post by county654 »

Hi Matt, hi Pat,

looks like Wisconsin is goint to be the hot spot in the Fordson map by now :D :D
Regards Matthias

With County, you can ;-)

1959 Power Major
1961 County Super 4 drainagemachine
1963 Super Major
1964 NP Super Major 4x4
1966 County 654

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Yes it did add a little more to the overall cost but when they got here it was worth it. I have always wanted a Muir Hill to add to the collection and Im sure I could find some uses around the farm for it as well. :wink:

Though I would also add a photo of the injector pump drive shaft as well, the engine ran a bit funny so upon a closer inspection I found the drive coupler on the drive shaft was loose. Dad said it did the same thing back in the mid 60's and was sent to the dealership for repairs. You can see how they tried to repair it all those years ago by brazing the key-way, :shock: may not have been the proper fix but I suppose you can't really complain, it has ran many years since then. After checking the rod & main bearings and the replacement shaft installed now I am just waiting on the gasket set from our friends in the UK, should be here tomorrow. :D

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Well, Im happy to report the ol Power Major is back together and running like a top once again. On to the next, But before that I believe some workshop clean-up is in order. :D

Last edited by Matt in WI on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Sweet! :beer:

Pat

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

SWEET indeed ! Nice to hear it run again, its definitely one of my favorites. :D