Starter return spring

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Starter return spring

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Hello there,

Took my starter apart and cannot figure out how return spring goes back. Anyone remember putting one back in? In drawing it looks like the spring goes around upper post that goes through casing and holds sliding lever that moves starter gear in and out. When disassembling I don't think it was attached to that post, I remember seeing the spring sitting down on sliding ring. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kerry

Matt in WI
True Blue

Re: Starter return spring

Post by Matt in WI »

Hello Again Kerry,

Just happens I have a few starters laying about the workshop so I snapped a photo for you, much easier to show you than trying to describe it. The picture did not turn out the best so if you don't get any help from it I will try to get you a different one. -Matt

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Hi Matt,

Can't thank you enough, looks like the spring does rest on the pin. So much for assumptions, and I always tell myself to avoid them when I am not quite sure of re assembly.
I disassembled the starter because it could not turn the headless rebuilt engine over with 2 fully charged batteries. The starter will spin for sure but when I engage it, it bumps the engine a couple degrees is all. My next thought is that both surfaces of starter attachment are painted and maybe it's not getting a good ground. My next try will be to clip my jumper ground wire directly to the ground terminal on the starter with power going to hot terminal.

Thanks again for the pictures

Kerry

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

One little side note, my starter has a holding pin instead of a bolt with nut. The spring looks the same.

Kerry

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Your welcome Kerry, The starter with the bolt was just the first one I picked up, the spring goes the same way in both. Makes me curious now why some used a bolt and others a pin :?: I have seen about equal amounts of both. I think your rite about the cranking issue, could be as simple as the ground, are you running positive earth or negative ?

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Hi Matt,

Can't say I am running positive earth or negative earth. The tractor is about 65% assembled and for testing the starter I just hooked jumper cables to the starter positive terminal and clamped onto a frame bolt head for ground. I tried the starter on the bench. With one battery it ran strong then petered out and would not spin again. That same thing happened a couple times when I had it on the tractor so I think the ground issue with the painted surfaces is off the table. Is there a heat sensor switch inside the starter somewhere? I cleaned everything inside and put grease in the bearings. I have also been trying to recondition my 13 year old tractor batteries which seems to be working. For testing the starter on the tractor I did use 2 good car batteries. And remember this engine is currently headless, so no compression to deal with. Well, at least I can get a new starter if needed, but would prefer the original. I have gone so over budget on this thing and for some reason I do want original pieces on it if possible.
Thanks for the help, I put the picture you sent on my ipad mini which was sitting on the workbench as I figured out the spring. Hope to upload some pics soon of my red and hammered silver Fordson 5000 (AKA NP Super Major)

Kerry

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

I know so well about the over budget thing myself, I always find that I spend way more on a restoration that expected. I too also prefer to use all the original parts if possible, not just to take the cheap way out but just for authenticity. I also like to keep it just as it left the factory not adding options that it never originally had, just a personal preference of mine. Your on the right track, I would get those mounting surfaces all cleaned up and with good battery's and leads you should be in good shape. There is no heat sensor to bother you with so that should not be a issue, they are pretty basic starters, did you clean the brushes good ?

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

broken springs on the brushes will make cause the same issue as well.

Pat

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Yea I cleaned the brushes, the springs were defiantly keeping the brushes in contact. I will get the paint off the starter/engine mounting surfaces before the next try. Going to bench test it again right now, got the battery recharged. I am beginning to understand with this tractor like my old '85 BMW , this will be an ongoing project. Luckily I do like working on things mechanical, although if I had unlimited funds I would pay someone to do the hard stuff! The thought has crossed my mind that if I came across another major around here, I might be tempted to buy it and start all over again.

Thanks again

Kerry

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Yea I cleaned the brushes, the springs were defiantly keeping the brushes in contact. I will get the paint off the starter/engine mounting surfaces before the next try. Going to bench test it again right now, got the battery recharged. I am beginning to understand with this tractor like my old '85 BMW , this will be an ongoing project. Luckily I do like working on things mechanical, although if I had unlimited funds I would pay someone to do the hard stuff! The thought has crossed my mind that if I came across another major around here, I might be tempted to buy it and start all over again.

Thanks again

Kerry

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Oh yes, it always starts with just one, LOL. The first Major came into our lives in 1956 and it was "love at first sight" for this family, that tractor was traded in on the 1960 Power Major you may have seen in my other posts. I have had made it my goal to find our first Major so anytime one comes up for sale in the area or I find one in a hedge row I just have to take it home thinking that just maybe this is the one. I do not have the serial number so to positively identify it will be nearly impossible. I have always been hopeful that some day I will pull in with a Major on the trailer and my Father takes one look and has the "feeling" and tells me "that's the one, that's the old Major" funny how you just know sometimes, but as of yet that has not happened.

You have gotten bit by the tractor bug now Kerry, Im sure this wont be the only tractor in your life, before you know it you will have a whole shed full !
There are many knowledgeable folks in this group willing to help, nice to know there are many others in the world that share in the same interest as I do. I joined this site a little while back but for a long time now I have just always sat on the sidelines and watched, I figured it was about time to get in the game and play for a change.

Just glad I can lend a hand. :thumbs:

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Nice story Matt, you could be right about the tractor bug hitting me. when I was 16 I spent a summer working on my uncles ranch. He had a 63 massy ferguson model 65 I think, gas powered. Loved driving that tractor, digging post holes, pulling a disc and other things.
So glad I got this super major, had no idea of the Fordson name. Not sure the previous owner knew either cause he called it a Ford over the phone when I first called. Am sorry I did not check it out on the internet first before powder coating lots of parts red and painting the gearboxes/engine silver. Does look nice I think and ford could have painted it that color as they did other models.
Anyway on to some mild porting of the head and exhaust before bolting the head down. Some of the casting is too pronounced. So much fun getting it together, all the obsticals seem to always work out!

Kerry