front tire tracking

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

front tire tracking

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Hi All,

As I move along with this rebuild and got my spindles/bushings back form the machinist last week, I began yesterday to get the whole front end attached. Got it all done except the power steering ram which I am still working on. So after dropping the tractor off the blocks and onto the front axel with wheels and tires for the first time in about 5 years, The tires/wheels seem to tilt in at ground level looking from the front, is that camber or castor? I forget. Nothing I can do about that right?

Anyone have an extra inside front wheel bearing they want to sell me? The bearing cage on mine has a crack. Still waiting for the starter so I can spin the headless engine to circulate the oil. Second time at the starter shop, she just stopped working (bench test only) and the shop owner said I should get a new clutch set installed in the bendix. Will install the head and rocker arms after spinning the engine. Still have to send the injector pump and injectors to get tested, then the fenders/wings get fixed , then wiring, then rest of sheet metal attached, gas tank re sprayed, various little tasks and the hopefull start up and run.

Thanks Kerry

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: front tire tracking

Post by Dandy Dave »

Some of the others on here had a similar problem with the front end alignment. The splines on the replacements do not line up like the originals. Some have said the replacements are like the Ebro units. The wheel bearings are available new from after market suppliers. I got a set with seals and cups from Agriline for my Power major a number of years ago and they have worked fine.
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

peter2
True Blue

Post by peter2 »

Hi Kerry,

look here: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=2&t=3477, I had a similar problem.

Peter
1963 Super Major

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Fortunately I was able to use the original spindles, the machinist installed the spindle bushings without reaming them. The fit was acceptable with very little slop.
The front wheels are tipped in at the ground level slightly looking from the front, guess I will live with it rather than heating the axel and bending it.
I just put the tie rod on tonight, with each end set at the third divot or furrow. It seemed to toe the tires out a little. No biggie its not going to be on the highway unless I want to drive it cross country. Thanks for the help once again!

Kerry

Matt in WI
True Blue

Post by Matt in WI »

Kerry, how are you coming along on the rest of the tractor :?: I would like to see the color combination, I know you said it was a little different :D

1su9pm6aj4
True Blue

Post by 1su9pm6aj4 »

Hi Matt,

Sorry just glanced at this thread again, have not been here for many weeks. The tractor is coming along nicely thanks to many helpful people on this site. I was able to engage the starter this morning on my headless engine while holding a tube/funnel full of oil directed into the oil pressure hole which primed the engine with its lifeblood...oil. Got all the front end back from powder coater a few weeks ago and have it installed on the tractor with wheels attached. Still have to figure out the power steering ram although its all cleaned, new seals, powder coated but not installed.Feel luckey not to see a drop of oil leaking from the engine or tranny yet, but the engine has not run on its own yet. I actually think I might finish this thing up soon.
I will figure out how to post pics and get some of them up. The colors are Bengal red and hammered silver. About 75% of the tractor's red color is powder coated 25% sprayed with an automotive red, eye matched to the Bengal Red. I then did the engine block (except pan) tranny and rear end in Rustoleum's Hammered Silver by brush. The wheels I had dismounted and sandblasted. I then sprayed the inside red and the rim sections the silver. Got the tires back on and I have to say they look really good. Only the fronts are mounted on my tractor right now due to still wanting good access to the rear of the tractor for when I put the top cover on and pray it all works well.
last but not least is the injector pump and if I should send it out to have it rebuilt. The previous owner said the tractor did run so I would think the pump still works. Not looking forward to paying that bill if I go that direction. Anyway I will try to post some current pics of my red and silver Fordson NP Super Major July of 1964. Technically speaking this tractor was called a ford 5000 when I bought it so hope the guys here will give me break on the color combo.I tore into it right when I got it before reading up on it so had already picked the colors and had parts already powder coated when I found out it was a rare Super Major from England and supposed to be Blue and White. Being a house painter I know colors are not difficult to change down the line, So I will enjoy the color combo for now. Ford's decision to pick the blue color overall could have encompassed a one day or less meeting way back when. Maybe this color combo was on the list!

regards

Kerry