Water pump rebuild

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Water pump rebuild

Post by BearCreek Majors »

So the other day I took a few pics while I was rebuilding a water pump for the Super Six.

These are the three different styles that I have, early with round bypass hole, later with slotted bypass hole, later with slotted bypass hole and auxiliary port on inlet fitting.
Note the hub with pulley for power steering applications.

I decided to use the unit with the aux port for the Super Six as I believe these are for industrial and automotive applications, and may very well be correct for the Six, disassembled, sandblasted and ready for reassembly in the press.

I'm not even going to go into a tirade about the quality of this vendors products, but I am pretty much done with them. The machined face of the impeller is the surface that the carbon seal seals against, and it was left with raw machining marks in it, even if it did seal it would probably eat the carbon seal up in no time. I chucked it in the lathe and finished it off with some 600 grit. A mirror like finish would probably be preferable.

After I had it fully assembled I realized the bearing housing had two small groves rather than a small and a large, no way in hell the retaining clip was going in their. Disassembled, back to the lathe to make a deeper slot, and then final assembly.

All done

Pavel
True Blue

Re: Water pump rebuild

Post by Pavel »

It gladdens the heart to see the work of a craftsman -- and not just of the w/pump.

Pavel

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

A craftsman...... or just cheap and anal? :?

Thanks Pavel!

Pat

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

BearCreek Majors wrote:A craftsman...... or just cheap and anal? :?

Thanks Pavel!

Pat
I resemble that remark. :lol: Been there myself many times. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major