has anybody ran an hydraulic log splitter

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
skidz
Not Quite Blue Yet

has anybody ran an hydraulic log splitter

Post by skidz »

just wondering if anyone has ran a hydraulic log spliiter from there fordson major or does anyone no what they like? mines a 1957 fordson new major?? its got a hydraulic front loader on and is quite strong just wondering what they ike with a splitter thanks

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Re: has anybody ran an hydraulic log splitter

Post by Dandy Dave »

We had a hydraulic splitter when we were on the farm years back. Worked very good on the tractors we had. Did not have a Fordson Major at the time though. Don't see where it would be a problem as long as you have a DAR system installed. Or at least a return line. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

They will run OK skidz but you will need an extra lift spool valve or your FEL and lift arms will be up and down as well, wasting oil.

I'm still looking for a cheap extra lift valve to experiment with (I think there might be an existing tapping a new front blanking plate could utilise), there are at least two 'supplied' types I've seen, one which sits behind the original and with a quadrant lever like it, the other has an on/off knob on the opposite side, I think primarily for things like hedge trimmer heads.

In either instance return oil needs to go back, and fitting a QRC into the filler plug behind the seat seems to be the standard.

I'm still awaiting the D/A cylinder promised in part payment for my old Nuffield M4 otherwise I might have been a bit further forward building my own and able to be more help.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

witty73
True Blue

Post by witty73 »

I just wanted to throw this out there, as I was always a hydraulic splitter guy, until I tried the Bark Buster on the major. The diesel has enough low end torque, I could allow it to just idle and split as fast as I could handle the logs. I never cared for this splitter in the past when using it on a gas powered 3000 ford, but on the Major it becomes an entirely different tool. Just food for thought.

chriss
True Blue

Post by chriss »

I have the same one its brilliant : :buddies:

Dandy Dave
True Blue

Post by Dandy Dave »

I've seen the screw type splitters in the past. Some of them bolted to the hub of a car, or light pickup/jeep rear end. They really worked well from what I could see. Not sure on really knotty stuff though. Dandy Dave!
Have a Fordsonful day Folks!

1960 Fordson Power Major

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

If your going to use hydraulic splitter I would recommend using a pto pump and seperate oil tank, you can get. Better performance this way ,this is one I made but you can put it on any tractor :D
URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/woodc ... 5.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
albums/j450/woodcutter3/DSCF4218_zps0a3094cd.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
URL=http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/woodc ... d.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

The screw splitter looks good. Never used one, but I like the fact that it uses the straight mechanical power of the pto.
Love the design of the hydraulic splitter too using an external pump. Very nice. Please take two of these out of petty cash! :thumbs: :thumbs:
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

skidz
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by skidz »

ithanks for pics and replies ive getting mine built and working perfect better than i thought will get some pics next couple of days hopefully thanks

drz400
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by drz400 »

I agree with witty73, I bought a screw splitter put on my major just let it tick over and away you go. split everything I put in front of it. which ever way you go it's better than a axe!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6bwHAjqTTY