New project

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
woodcutter
True Blue

New project

Post by woodcutter »

This is a new project I towed home probably wouldn't of bought it only it was quite close and cheap :D
anyway it's home and I thought I should do something with it so I cut the Duncan cab off and took engine out as the bottom end is knocking :( my original plan was stick a six cylinder in but engine I have is going to take more work than I first thought, but I have a few major parts about me and a rebuilt spare engine of same era so im going to try and bring her back to life, so I ordered a few bits and the project begins
so its ready to fit new engine, ive took fuel tank off and steering box is pretty worn so that will need sorting the brakes are not working, tin work is shot and there's loads more but itl be nice to see her run again :D

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: New project

Post by oehrick »

Nice find :mrgreen: - what's that you're towing behind it ?? some sort of red/grey lifeboat thingy :clap:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

That's the man who used to own major I did tell him drive behind me and il give him a tow aswel :D I believe the old major used to belong to a local auto club for pushing cars off the track hence the big bumper so if I contact the club I may be able to find out some history on her

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Well done for saving another one of these amazing machines. When you have finished working on her, she'll be a very useful piece of kit again.
Please take one of these :thumbs: out of petty cash! :D
Best, Adrian. :thumbs:

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Thanks I'm having a bit of trouble getting lower gearbox seal can anyone tell me the correct dimensions I went to my local ford dealer he said he could get one for £72 but the dimensions didn't come up on his screen and I didn't want to pay that much for a seal I might be able to get from my local bearing shop I've read about using two seals back back any info appreciated

liam
True Blue

Post by liam »

Best thing with that seal is take it out and measure it ,there may two seals back to back .Dunlop tractor parts will have the proper seals.That was where I got the seals for my super. Liam.

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

Think this is the one.
http://www.silverfoxtractorspares.com/f ... 1444-p.asp
As Liam says, Dunlop is a great place to look for anything you need for a Major. Very knowledgeable and always helpful.
When extracting old seal and fitting new, I found it easiest to drift the shaft and bearings off the bearing seats to allow room to get behind the old seal and to give free access to fitting the new one. When you tap the shaft back into position, suitably greased, the shaft and seal mate without problem.

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Making good progress, it's running well now it's had a new clutch brakes lower gearbox seal brake trumpet seals, and I've been very lucky a neighbour tipped a major in the 70s and was going to repair it but never did so he gave me some parts including a steering box that's never been used and a very tidy bonnet, all I need is some rear wings and she will be ready for work :D

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-Regular;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red77\green77\blue77;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl440\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs34 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Image}
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red77\green77\blue77;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
\deftab720

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

:clap: :thumbs:
Need I say more?!

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

here she is looks a bit crusty, but mechanically its pretty good, :D

I think its going to get some paint in the future and possibly a winch but this will do for now

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

This tractor could have ended up being scrapped. Now look at it - in excellent mechanical condition again and raring to go back to work. Thanks for sharing your project.

BearCreek Majors
True Blue

Post by BearCreek Majors »

Great Job!! Its always good to see another one brought back to life!

Pat

henk
Site Governance Team & Expert Team
Site Governance Team & Expert Team

Post by henk »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :beer:
Kind regards, Henk

Fordson New Major February 1957 Mark I

ford5000y
True Blue

Post by ford5000y »

Very nice!! :clap:

Hope she would have her headlamps back soon, that would make her look better. I always think headlamps makes a tractor's front end more beautiful, that's why every time I look for pictures on the internet I always look for pics of tractors that's got headlamps on. And probably that's also the reason why I somehow dislike those German and American tractors whose headlamps were mounted to the fenders (with the exception of those tractors that weren't originally equipped with headlamps, and early single-cylinder Marshalls, I have never seen them in the flesh, being in the Philippines, but I kinda quite like them on the pictures)

I see that it still had the bumper mounted on the front. From what I have read this tractor is used to push cars off the track, I hope it would not revert back to her old job, this time pushing small MF's and fergies off the road (I know we don't like them very much here)

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Will you put a winch on her?
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I'm liking the bumber bar on the front. I know it was used for pushing stock cars off the track. Anyone think of other uses for it? I'm tempted to make one for mine, if I can think of a task I could put it to.
Any ideas?

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Yeah I've already got a boughton to put on the back just need to make a few modifications and strengthen linkage I might add a nose guard to the front I would like to find some 14x30 rims but they seem to be rare and strong money, Adrian I made a box to mount on the front of my other major I find that more useful than a front bumper depends what you want to do I guess cheers all

Bensdexta
True Blue

Post by Bensdexta »

Where did you get the Boughton?
Two winch Majors - that's pulling power. :wink:
Bensdexta - 1961 working for a living!

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

It came from North Yorkshire, I've got a more modern skidding winch which I use most but there's not much to match a boughton for power but this will only get used for big pulls, felling or rescuing stuck machines , it's too slow for firewood and small stuff, I know a man near me who has a Dexta that was fitted with a boughton from new don't see many of them

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Is this (1st pic) http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb ... f=5&t=5779
The sort of rim you are after woodcutter ?
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Yeah they look like the wheels I want ,have you got a pair and are the tyres worn out? If you have a pair of rims I might be interested I'd have to check how much tyres would cost

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

Sorry woodcutter, only the one, tyre just about bald IIRC but I can drag it out and see what condition the rim is in next time I'm over there if you'd like.

I see someone posted they had a pair off an E27N looking to swap so might be worth having a check there.

This one 'aint going anywhere soon, get back to me if it becomes 'of interest'. :wink:
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

woodcutter
True Blue

Post by woodcutter »

Bit of an update ive been asked to take a vintage tractor to our local village fete so I thought il crack on with this one, ive added a nose guard to the front bumper cut rust out of the bottom of nose cone a replaced with good metal and resprayed with 2pack including bonnet and fuel tank and fitted winch and she running really well, and I even kept the grills blue :D
so I need to paint wheels at some point and get a seat cushion but I think this might be a seat pan off a Nuffield :? and im also looking for a ravenhill dealer badge for bonnet if anyone has one im interested cheers all

AdrianNPMajor
True Blue

Post by AdrianNPMajor »

I love what you are doing with this tractor. Great mechanical engineering and you obviously had a vision for what you wanted this machine to be.
Thanks again for sharing. You'll have to forgive me if I steal some inspiration from (= copy :D ) what you are doing.