fuel pump coupling

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
billy
True Blue

fuel pump coupling

Post by billy »

Hiya all,

This might sound stupid but how much play should there be in the coupling, the flexible pad bit... I've go about one or two mm in either direction, is that too much??

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Re: fuel pump coupling

Post by oehrick »

Side to side between the disks or rotational ??

Never measured it but I think mine probably has this and runs OK, perhaps a little less between disks, if rotational make sure the slack is taken up in the drive direction before checking or retiming the pump.
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes

billy
True Blue

Post by billy »

yeah its rotational, but the tractor is running with a fair amount of smoke, so I was just thinking the coupling might be upsetting the timing?

oehrick
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by oehrick »

The pump presents pure drag (as far as I know) so increasing coupling slack will retard the point of injection. have you checked the timing ? I would think it would have to drift further than described to make smoke.

As a rough idea, if you take the coupling as roughly 60mm diameter the circumference is going to be about 180mm so each mm at the outside edge equals about 2 degrees of movement, if timed at the mid point of the slack this reduces to 1 degree.

HTH
Best regards
Rick - Bogside on Bure

1958 Diesel E1A Mk2 s/n 1470165 - still in working clothes