Looking for info on this Interesting Raised PTO mod

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
whirly
True Blue

Looking for info on this Interesting Raised PTO mod

Post by whirly »

I've been looking for a raised PTO forever but the need/cost never met and I had passed up a couple.

I now have an immediate need and the cost wasn't an issue so I went searching. As one would expect locating one was difficult but I found one in the land down under. Now comes the interesting part. All of the raised PTO's I had ever seen advertised anywhere on the internet had an input shaft like this:

which as you can see is terminated at the outboard end with a castellated nut and cotter pin

and the guts looked like this:

The one I found has a shaft which is terminated with a bearing:

Image Image

and there is a race for the bearing in the outboard side of the case?

None of the parts manuals I have had the opportunity to peruse shows this modification.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is a Fordson part or an after market solution?

Any idea the purpose?
Last edited by whirly on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Re: Looking for info on this Interesting Raised PTO mod

Post by Brian »

I know little about raised PTO's as they were not used or common in Norfolk but there are two types. The later New Performance Super one had a different gearing. The unit might have been strengthened at that time.

My parts book (Ford Issued to Main Dealer) does not even show a nut on the end of the shaft.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

I have owned a few raised PTOs, and only the raised PTOs for the new performance supers have the bearing on the end of the shaft. Now, the raised PTO on the NP supers do not reduce the PTO speed like the ones meant for the earlier supers and the older models, so the pto speed will be the same as it was standard.

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Spicklas wrote:I have owned a few raised PTOs, and only the raised PTOs for the new performance supers have the bearing on the end of the shaft. Now, the raised PTO on the NP supers do not reduce the PTO speed like the ones meant for the earlier supers and the older models, so the pto speed will be the same as it was standard.
Thank you for that insight. Keeping the engine RPM at 1200 is a real plus in this application. It will keep my ground speed down in 1L.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Brian wrote:.... My parts book (Ford Issued to Main Dealer) does not even show a nut on the end of the shaft.
I know mine doesn't either. Wonder why :?:
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Kav
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Kav »

From what I remember , the gearbox ratios in the last of the Australian Super Majors ( with the Grey wheels) was changed. I think that fourth gear was slightly slower and the gearing in the front drive of the PTO was slowed down also. Obviously this slowed the Hydraulic Pump down and would have made it run a bit cooler. I don't know whether this was a standard Ford factory modification or a local Australian one. Can anybody else add to this? - Kav.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Yes it was standard across the world. It was to bring more gears into play at PTO speed. The change was in the crown wheel and pinion, there were two, a high speed 4.4, and a low speed 3.3.

We had one customer who had the high speed fitted every harvest time and at the end of harvest had the low speed fitted for ploughing on Rotopeds. Used to curse as I usually got the short straw to change the crown wheel and pinions over each year.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Well here is an interesting "who da thunk" factoid. The raised PTO which is the subject of this thread IS from a NPSM. What I have found is that the oil pump drive gear is different than the one on all previous models.

The NPSM gear has 34 teeth as opposed to the prior models' 33 teeth. Needless to say they do not fit and the gear would have to be replaced with a prior year gear - if possible - to work in the prior years majors. Fortunately I already had an older raised PTO drive line and used it for the conversion for the time being. I'll see if the swap is possible in the next few weeks.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Spicklas
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Spicklas »

You will have to swap either gear on the raised pto shaft, or the pump gear. The gearing on the npsm will compensate for the slower pto speed. So in your case i recommend to swap the gear on the raised pto shaft to one with 33 teeth to keep the "right" ratio. Gears on the pto shaft are interchangeable older/newer, as are the ones on the pump.

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Spicklas wrote:You will have to swap either gear on the raised pto shaft, or the pump gear. The gearing on the npsm will compensate for the slower pto speed. So in your case i recommend to swap the gear on the raised pto shaft to one with 33 teeth to keep the "right" ratio. Gears on the pto shaft are interchangeable older/newer, as are the ones on the pump.
That's the plan but wasn't sure if the NPSM shaft was beefier. The older shaft works well for now and engages/disengages The PTO just fine. I just have a minor leak at the bottom of the housing ... need to pull and use more gaskaseal.

Fortunately, someone, I can't remember who, posted that a trick to replacing the PTO seal, so you didn't have to catch 10 gallons of oil, was to drop the front end over a bank. I have such a bank on the Shark and it worked well. Just had to wipe the oil off the shaft as it was pulled out. Had to do that twice so may have lost a cup of oil. I'm going to have to do this again to seal the housing so I'll post a picture.
'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

whirly
True Blue

Post by whirly »

Here's Smurf nose down waiting for the Raised PTO leak fix.

'59 Power Major
Ancient Smurf

Agromick82
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Agromick82 »

Hi whirly

I’m chasing the roller bearing on the end of the shaft.... did you find a supplier?

It was ok but to get it off I wrecked it

Or do I not worry about replacing it.. it won’t be doing heavy work

Cheers

Mick

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Mick,

If you take the broken bearing to a bearingshop, they will be able to help you.
Or you can take all the measures and order it online.
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch

Roadless63
True Blue

Post by Roadless63 »

I got a bearing ok for mine in the UK, dont have number to hand as away from home right now.

I am looking for a complete kit or just the long shaft with bearing on the end (not earlier type with nut on the end) as I have a spare drop box here and want to fit another raised PTO kit to a NPSM I have here.

Agromick82
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by Agromick82 »

Ok, I managed to find a bearing as per above, it wasn’t a common bearing but I got one

Thanks heaps

mathias1
Site Governance Team
Site Governance Team

Post by mathias1 »

Agromick82 wrote:Ok, I managed to find a bearing as per above, it wasn’t a common bearing but I got one

Thanks heaps
Great,

What's the size? Maybe we can add it to the seals and bearingslist made by Henk!
Fordson Super Major New Performance
County Super 4 built on the Fordson Super Major
Selene built on the Fordson Super Major New Performance with Silvant winch