howard reduction box reversal

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
loufordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

howard reduction box reversal

Post by loufordson »

Hi all,
Has anyone heard of howard boxes being used and modified to make the major faster as opposed to slower?
I do quite a lot of road runs and would love it if my fordson wasn't screaming all the time!
I have two howard reduction boxes that I wouild like to modified to make a box that increases speed slightly.
One of them is 2_1 and the others a 4_1 ratio. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this being done before and if it's possible?
Many thanks in advance

woodcutter
True Blue

Re: howard reduction box reversal

Post by woodcutter »

I've looked into this myself for the same reason, but I think at the time we worked out if you reversed the gears it would be way too high gearing might even be hard to take off, I think the simplest way is to run slightly taller tyres it makes a big difference, but if you do go through with it and it works show us some photos as I have a reduction box just sat here, cheers Kev

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

i
Last edited by brockwood on Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

loufordson
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by loufordson »

Brickworks that sounds quite interesting do you have any photos at all?
Woodcutter yes that's right 2-1 would be just right I've just got to figure out how to change the gears round As its not quite as simple as reversing then unfortunately! But if I manage I will share the photos !
May need to get some gears machined up though