Front End Loader Control Valve

This forum is for the Fordson New Major, including the Super Major and the Power Major.
oldblue2
Not Quite Blue Yet

Front End Loader Control Valve

Post by oldblue2 »

My tilt action is slow on the up tilt motion . The dump action is fine along with raising and lowering the bucket . I'm sure it a stuck valve . I'm cleaning up a drainage ditch and would really like to get this fixed as soon as possible . Does anyone have any images of the control head and parts . I'm sure it must have a o-ring to seal the end cap .

blackbob
True Blue

Re: Front End Loader Control Valve

Post by blackbob »

Do you think it is the valve-block which is leaking, or perhaps the tilt ram leaking internally?

Don't think I ever had a valve assembly apart, but changing ram seals isn't usually difficult. Does the bucket droop when it is loaded?

I'd guess none of the hydraulic system outside the tractor back-end, is made by Ford, so you maybe need to give us some details/photos? :)
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

Brian
Grumpy
Grumpy

Post by Brian »

Something else to factor in, which way round is the ram? The surface area of the piston on a double acting ram is different either side due to the stem of the ram. They can be slower or lift less in one direction if you use the stem side of the piston.

Any couplings in the line may also cause loss of speed especially one on the low pressure side of the ram.

As Bob says, ram seals can also be a problem.
Fordson Tractor Pages, now officially linked to: Fordson Tractor Club of Australia, Ford and Fordson Association and Blue Force.
Brian

brockwood
True Blue

Post by brockwood »

an
1x 23f 1x 34 blue n 1 x 44 green n e27/s x 8 3ooo/ 5000 slectospeed county 754 x1 ford k series truck

oldblue2
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldblue2 »

From what you all are saying is it is most likely a leaking seal , in one or both Rams . As far as the bucket it doesn't drop after the desired up tilt setting is achieved , it's just extremely slow to move loaded or unloaded . The front rams have ben replaced by someone in the tractors past . I never have worked on heavy equipment . So I'm a little surprised that the cylinder seal could be at fault . The down tilt function has enough pushing strength to lift the tractor . I can hear the fluid rushing thru the valve when I try to tilt the bucket up . A sound I don't get when it tilts down and lifts the tractor . The hydraulic pump is mounted to the front of the tractor and is crank driven . Do you know what the pressure output of this style pump is . I'll take a look this A.M. and see if I can find any manufacturing marks on the hydraulic cylinders and see if I can locate a seal kit for them . Most likely the are from one or two supply company's locally . Tractor Supply or Northern Tool . I would like to know the pressure output of the pump . It looks like the cylinders that Northern supply sells are rated for 3000 PSI .Thanks for your help fellas . I'll check back in later to see your valued responses . She has been creaking and groaning , but I have almost finished a 660 foot ditch . I've been digging for two days . We are just starting hurricane season and our road floods over with days of rain due to improper drainage from the ditch . I 've gotten thumbs up from all the neighbors for the last two days . My thought is where is the beer ? The running issue and brakes are definitely fixed thanks to your support .

blackbob
True Blue

Post by blackbob »

It doesn't sound like ram seals then.

Are any of the metal fittings on the ends of any of the hoses, damaged, kinked, twisted? This type of elbow is especially vulnerable, I find:

Because this rushing sound, might be the pressure relief valve operating, because something is restricting oil flow somewhere, as Brian suggested above... do you get the same sound, when you lift the loader fully up, or fully down, so that the pump is overloading? Do you hear the tractor engine labouring while this sound is happening?

I'm guessing you have a valve block something like this, there are many different makes although all broadly similar:

You've clarified things by telling us about the front-mounted pump - although I wouldn't know what pressure it produces, you'll have to find some ID on it (it isn't, of course, a Ford part).

I don't know how big your cylinders are but you'll need at least 3/8" hoses and fittings, and preferably 1/2" or maybe even bigger. If these rams have been swapped from something else, you may find their ports, or some of the hoses or fittings, are too small..
Last edited by blackbob on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1440276 - 1957 - working
1335674 - err - one day..
Claeys combine M103 - 1963 703129 - working
Ford 7710 2wd, 1983 - working

The Fordson Tractor Pages. Built to be relied on.

oldblue2
Not Quite Blue Yet

Post by oldblue2 »

I inspected the hoses this mourning . One hose was miss positioned and had a tight bend on it . I must have pushed it around knocking over some trees . It is still a little slow but is working like it use to . There are two different diameter hoses on it and I think they need to be rotated . Thanks again I'll up date this after I rotate the hoses and see if it works better .